Skip to main content

Parts? For a 1947 2-ton dodge truck built by T. and J. Richards and Sons.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243895 by HalfaDodgeTruckMan
photos 10.

Note: Cleaning and lubricating, and removal of thermostat housing and thermostat (what was left of it anyway, after it turned into raw iron); Look at the inside of the engine head (may need a new one).

Thats about it for now, if anyone can help me find parts out there in the wide it would be appreciated greatly.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by HalfaDodgeTruckMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243898 by Lang
Where about are you. I have quite a bit of Dodge stuff to suit including an engine. I am in Brisbane,

This information is for American trucks. Canadian trucks usually had their own number allocations, startong with 900...... This info may or may not match yours as it is Australian assembled, more than likely from Canadian factory, with an Adelaide Richards cab. Detroit in USA and Windsor in Canada are basically the same town divided by a river. All the manufacturers had factories in Windsor to get around the British Empire trade restrictions. There were some very dodgy goings on with where stuff was actually built and where the serial numbers were stamped on them.

Here is the problem with Dodge engines. They all look the same but there are hundreds of differences. If you want to change a complete engine (not the bell housing) with another complete engine most will drop in, including Plymouth, Fargo and Chrysler except: There were two standard lengths 23 and 25 inches - both look identical until you measure them. You don't have to worry about engine length because yours is long but short motor vehicles require the radiator to be reversed on its mounting to make room.

Chrysler made millions of industrial engines for forklifts, farm machinery, tow motors, generators etc and all of these will go into a vehicle without a problem, using your old clutch and bell housing which has engine mounts to suit the particular vehicle.

Your T118 is a "long" 25 inch motor. As such you may be better off finding a British built KEW engine to drop in rather than rebuilding the T118 while giving you a few extra horsepower. Parts are quite easy to get but a rebuld at a workshop will set you back $6-7,000.

Lang

Look at this link for all the different Dodge motors. Amazing array of changes even down to engines of the same capacity but longer stroke and narrower bore - and they look identical from the outside. Engine numbers are everything with Chrysler products.

vicsdodgegarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2...e-Identification.pdf
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, HalfaDodgeTruckMan

More
1 year 2 months ago #243900 by Lang
Here is an interesting video of a home handyman restoring a T218 engine.

More
1 year 2 months ago #243901 by Morris
Halfadodgetruckman,
That Dodge looks like it needs a straight-forward, although very thorough restoration. You and your Uncle are to be congratulated for taking on such a big job. I suspect from the background in your photos that you are in South Australia but not really in the outback because there is grass and it is green.
The engine and other parts Lang has offered may well be cheaper including freight to getting yours rebuilt. He probably has the waterpump and other accessories as well.
I see that the steel pipe section of the bottom radiator hose is badly corroded. I got a similar one for my Morris Commercial bent up by an exhaust place I have used for years. The charge was so cheap that I gave him twice the asking price. If your exhaust place cannot make one to sample, I got mine from Daalder Exhausts in Dandenong, Melbourne.
Keep up the good work and keep sending photos. Click "Insert" when you have posted them to have them appear bigger.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, HalfaDodgeTruckMan

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243902 by Lang
1933-1980
Canadian Built Dodge and Fargo Truck
Serial Number (VIN) Tags

Canadian built Dodge and Fargo trucks frequently used different serial numbers than those built in the United States. Canadian built truck serial number tags specify that the truck was made in Canada.

Canadian Example:
MFG. BY CHRYSLER COPORTATION OF CANADA LIMITED WINDSOR ONTARIO CANADA

As opposed to US built Trucks which are marked along the lines of:
BUILT BY CHRYSLER CORPORTAION, DETROIT MICHIGAN U.S.A.

To properly decode your Serial Number you will need to know:
Where the truck was made: USA or Canada
The make: Fargo, Dodge, or Plymouth
The actual Serial Number
In some years, the Canadian built trucks used different styles of tags than the US built trucks used. The images below show the various tags used in Canadian built trucks by year.

1933 and earlier Canadian Built Dodge or Fargo Trucks

A US built Dodge 1933 HC tag is shown below. This era tag is found on the driver's side of the firewall. This style tag was used from at least 1933 to 1934 and most likely earlier. The exact year this tag was introduced is unknown. The Serial Number on this tag is 8021422. It is believed that the Canadian built trucks of the same era also use this tag.

1933 Canadian built Dodge or Fargo Truck Tag
Click for larger image
1935 to 1938 Canadian Built Dodge or Fargo Trucks

A Canadian built Dodge 1938 FG3-59 tag is shown below. This era tag is found on the driver’s side of the firewall. This style tag was used up until 1938. It was used from at least 1936 to 1938 and possibly earlier, though the exact year this tag entered use is unknown. The Serial Number on this tag is 9570463. Note how the information on the tag has moved slightly from the locations shown on the 1933 tag above. This tag style is the same as the tag used in US built trucks of the same year.

1935 to 1938 Canadian Built Dodge or Fargo Truck Tag
Click for larger image
1939-1943 Canadian Built Dodge or Fargo Trucks

A Canadian built Dodge 1940 FJ1-16 tag is shown below. This era tag is found on the passenger’s side front door jamb. The Canadian Built Dodge and Fargo trucks used this oval tag starting in 1939. It was used without change until about 1943, but the exact year of change is still being ascertained. The Serial Number on this tag is 9554940. This tag style is the same as the tag used in US built trucks of the same year except for the US tag changed to the next style in 1941 instead of 1944.

1939 to 1943 Canadian Built Dodge or Fargo Truck Tag
Click for larger image

1944-47 Canadian Built Dodge or Fargo Trucks

A Canadian built Dodge 1946 DD1-16 tag is shown below. This era tag is found on the passenger’s side front door jamb until late 1946 or early 1947 when it moved to the driver’s side front door jamb. The Canadian Built Dodge and Fargo trucks received this oval tag with the Horse Power rating added starting sometime around 1944, but the exact year it was introduced is still not known. It was used without change until 1947. The Serial Number on this tag is 90030727. This tag style is the same as the tag used in US built trucks of the same year.

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 2 months ago #243907 by HalfaDodgeTruckMan
I live in South Australia, Williamstown in particular, however the truck is sitting at my uncle's place; It's not far out from Galwer - Angel valle' way
And yes I have looked into the engine and the difference between the American version and the Canadian version. I would also like to keep the original engine, if possible as I have turned it by hand (without the spark plugs in) and it sucks and blows air just fine.

More
1 year 2 months ago #243908 by HalfaDodgeTruckMan
I have seen that video series and its rather good.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 1 month ago #243910 by HalfaDodgeTruckMan
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Sarge.

More
1 year 2 months ago #243912 by Lang
If it turns over and has compressions over 80 psi it will probably run OK to suit a hobby truck. Those Dodge engines were really hard to kill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HalfaDodgeTruckMan

More
1 year 2 months ago #243913 by HalfaDodgeTruckMan
Definitely going to take up Lang's offer on parts.

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds