Skip to main content

Tyres needed for Foden

More
15 years 3 months ago #6604 by Murray
Tyres ---- I am in need of a full set of matching drive tyres ( 8 ) in 10.00 x 20, they don't need to have a lot of tread because the truck won't be driven too far, but i would like them in fair condition.
I do have a set but they are in Bar tread, so they don't really look the part.
Cheers
Murray

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 3 months ago #6605 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden
Murray
GuddayM8

Dont go tell n me th@ the common garden variety 1000x20 tyre R rare
we still usen m on a cupla trucks
LOL
cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 3 months ago #6606 by JimmyDodge
Hi Swishy, my Dodge D5N wears the same size boots,and as my tyres are all buggered, I was checking on the net to what was available.
In a short answer , not much.
Only Hankook, had a couple of different patterns, most other tyre manufacturers had only one or none.
From memory "Double Coin" a chinese tyre maker had a couple of patterns too. I am not sure of availablility of any of these 10R -20's as I am quite a bit off the tyre buying stage just yet, but I would be interested to know what the story really is if any one out there has bought some recently,
regards Harleigh

• Swishy
  • Away
More
15 years 3 months ago #6607 by Swishy
Guys
I aint bought any 1000x20 for a year or more
but my supplier @ th@ time had no problems in getn m
he also supplies stock recaps as well as many brand name tyres
he covers all of melbourne once a week
WESTERN BANDAG
ALTONA NTH
BILL (03) 9360 0799

Here B my latest Xmas present in action

only problem iz
I shoulda got one 100 years ago
LOL

cya

[ch9786]

15 years 3 months ago #6608 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden
And only problem is they been around for 100 years ;D ;D i remember sitting in line at Nissen plant in clayton vic and a bloke would around do them for $10 per wheel. Dave

15 years 3 months ago #6609 by
Naughty, naughty, dont think you should be splashin' those pics over the web. ;D

For chrikies sake, don't touch the fabric with that thingy, or when you stick a load on 'em, they go pop real quick.

After you thru doing that to 'em, just remember that they sure love 'em at the re-treadin' works, they just open the big square steel wheely bin and chuck 'em in.

Used one of them thingys plenty of times on rubber that was just not worth re-treading, got to admit it, a bit more milage WAS got out of them.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

15 years 3 months ago #6610 by
Greenie if they are already caps they wont most times recap a recap so no loss but those clean skins you may be right.Dave

15 years 3 months ago #6611 by
A bag can be recapped as many times as is deemed that it can be, if you have a look on the side of any tyre that has had a re-cap put on it, you will/should see a small squarish extra patch added/glued to the side wall some-where. This little extra patch of rubber will have some form of number or letter in it, which will indicate who/when/where it was re-capped and this patch indicates how many times that bag has been re-capped as well. An extra patch is added each time a new cap is put onto that bag.

I have had one on a trailer with 5 of these patches showing on the side wall and this was a RAG tyre with ALL these patches on it. I thought even back then, that this is sure taking it to the extreme for recapping. The only reason that I remember this, is because it went flat and I had to change it, main street of Blackwater in the middle of a QLD summer, 40 degree Celsius and NO shade at all. The beading on this tyre had rusted solid with the rim, the only way I could get it to release was pour a cup of petrol around the rim and bead. This penetrated the rubbery rust and released the bead from the rim, while this was going on I was looking at all these patches and sweating and cursing me head of.

So long as the person who removes the old rubber from the bag does not touch, or show up the rag or wire in the bag, then it can be recapped as many times as you can.
Had a set of new tyres fitted to the drive on a truck, got about 90,000 kays from them, the 8 tyres were recapped and put back on the truck for another year and recapped again, but only got back 6. This was common practice for Brambles to recap as many times as it was possible, as this then made the tyre more " profitable ".

Michelin tyres were the best for taking caps, as the original rubber in them takes the glue very well, then you go to the brand known as Mr Bang-A-Lot, them aceholes would not even make it to the first cap most times. Lot's of different brands in between, but, ALL were able to be recapped many times.

The only things that really made sure that you could not recap a bag, was if the side-wall had a big cut/split in it, or, the rag or wire was showing somewhere on it, you just ran them till they went bang.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Swishy
  • Away
More
15 years 3 months ago #6612 by Swishy
Many moonz ago we were big on racappin
all our tyres were steel belt radials
each cap we asked them to grind off the 1st letter of the word RADIAL on both sides of tyre so 1st cap the 'R' disappeared next cap 'A' diisappeared etc
this then came a common practise for tyre capping by all
but we never ever got more than 3 caps on any tyre
the original bandag were very good with the imported rubber from the U.S. they'd last for ever, even longer than the original tread
Ansett F.E. would store up a pan full of tyres n send them to Brisbane from Melbourne to get the Bandag treatment
Later on Bandag was franchised out to all. Bandag may B still good, depending on who duz it, & who has the experience of doing the job properley
Today we can purchase a new 8.25x15 LowLoader tyre for less than $200.00 including rustband n tube n to cap th@ same size tyre I'd guess would cost $140 so capping aint worth it @ the moment. So might as well just regroove them as they do run cooler.

Regrooving
Tyres 2day have REGROOVABLE lettered on side of tyre n a depth wear indicator, little bars in tread depth, so when u wear down to the bar it indicates the tread depth is about th@ of a match head they also have a regrooving depth indicator in bottom of tread little dimples to indicate depth to regroove, but I aint ever seen these as yet
me thinks regrooveing was illegal years ago
but must B OK now as a tyre th@ was unroadworthy cos of the tread depth of less than 1/8" can now B gouged out to 1/4 or 3/8 "
as Greenie sez "does not touch, or show up the rag or wire" Yep make sure U don't hit the steel belt as this will allow water to penitrate into the steel belt n cause rust n failere then it'z all over red rover for th@ tyre carcas

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected

LOL

cya

[ch9786]

There U go Murray............ A little Mileage out your request for tyres..LOL

More
15 years 3 months ago #6613 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden
If 10.00 x 20 are getting scarce, what are people running, I know some have a slightly bigger steer tyre (10.25 or something) but are they changing drives and trailers too????

sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.463 seconds