Skip to main content

Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
10 years 7 months ago #126223 by BillyP
Reading the S- 900 site,about the first ones brought in by Camerons.I see 76639 was listed as S-921 / 8v71 /8125U / R-170 rear axles for Ansett. However,I have the original w/shop manual with preliminary factory work sheet ( dated 22-5- 1962) for 76639. It says- S-925 / 6v71 / 8125U /QHFR-2 GSW (35,000 lb ) rear axles. I take it this may be the SQHD as on the other trucks (i really dont know ) & this truck is listed to Camerons. This may be nit picking but i thought it may be of interest to some one. BillyP.

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago #126224 by
Replied by on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
G'day Billy... 76639 was a Ansett single drive (8V71,8125-U,R170 on GSW torsion bars).It was converted to bogie within about 6 months of its working life and was one of two Ansett single drives.After Ansett it went into the McMullens fleet and was written off. :(
Cheers James.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
10 years 7 months ago #126225 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
Jimmy,I hear what you are saying, but it seems strange that this manual quotes 76639 as a diffrent unit .I got the manual when i worked in the workshop at Camerons in Bachelle Ave Lidcombe. (if you could have called that) BillyP

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
10 years 7 months ago #126226 by angle-iron
Hi Billy,the problem with a lot of info on these early trucks is that it depends on what bible you get your info from.As there are not many old guys from around that era left & the ones that are left, have vague recollections .It is hard to get the facts.I have a book full of stories on my Camerons S model & about the same on the angleback.Most of the info conflicting with the, so called bible version. ::) ::) ;)

10 years 7 months ago #126227 by
Yes Billy... very interesting.My paperwork shows 8V71 and even quotes the engine number (8VA-9598) and the earliest date on it is 2-19-63.Sounds like you have a manual for one of the first seven,(76632-38).What is the engine number on your build sheet??? Cheers James.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126228 by
....the ''preliminary'' factory build sheet may not quote the engine or any driveline serial numbers, as this document was prepared for what the vehicle was ''intended'' to be...although being prepared in the 5th month of 1962 makes all this a little weird considering Jimmys info was already dated in the 2nd month??...

...i do know that there wasn't a particular ''set of books'' for the individual chassis' 76632 through to 76638 as it appears that they were all simply referred to as ''book 68''...(although an individual book may have been procured for a subsequent owner with that ch/no applied) and all the info in this ''in house'' KW book shows the dates on the pages as being well before the ''into service'' dates of those first seven....so Jimmy's info may have been part of that early blanket document run....albeit with the correct driveline number for that vehicle for use on the ''final'' build sheet....

...BillyP .. where on the book does it quote the chassis number?...is it typed in as part of the document or hand written in?.....cheers

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126229 by binder
Replied by binder on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
well im no rivet counter but I am one of those old b@stards that was around back then and I would like to think my memory is pretty good!!! if the truck in question ended up with mc mullens from orbost and billys paperwork says v6-71 then he may well be correct!!!!
around 1966 mc mullens had 2 s models and they loaded out of don binns yard in queen st Revesby and as a apprentice back then I regularly serviced dons fleet as well as those 2 s models of mc mullens , one had a 8v -71 the other a 6 v -71 the service bay had a blackboard with each trucks filters and oil capacity listed
including McMullens 2 smodels

I got a very large kick in the @rse once for filling the 6v to the 8v,s sump capacity so its etched in my mind pretty well
some years back I did mention to one of the s model gurus that mc mullens had a v6 71 and a 8v and was promptly told I didn't no what I was talkin about cos he had it all on paper!!!! even though he was probably in nappys at the time I was layin under mc mullens trucks!!! thanks for the post billy I owe you a beer
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by binder.

10 years 7 months ago #126230 by
....pretty sure McMullen's were all 8V71 and certainly all were ex Ansett...they all had 16'' Vortox air cleaners

...Roger Manson from Bunyip had two 6V71 S models (ex Cameron and Blomfield) from 1968 onwards....he may have subbied to McMullens back in the day??

More
10 years 7 months ago #126231 by binder
Replied by binder on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
i did expect a comment like that! how old were you in 1966?????

More
10 years 7 months ago #126232 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
76639 & 40 are shown as "Book 53" ....... at least on one list. :-?

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds