Skip to main content

Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126243 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639

"you younger blokes are more nostalgic about em than us because then they were just another job"

I don't think you could have written it much better than that Ol Mate...

It throws a whole different light on the game when you rely on it for a living..
Dreaming about driving along in your whatever it was is a whole lot different than laying under it in the mud on the side of the track with a heap of busted bits..

Always two sides to a story..

Its a great 'Industry' we have, no matter what side of the wheel you were sitting on..

Keep on Truckin

chocs 8-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 7 months ago #126244 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
Could imagine th@ Camerons ordered the truck in Q:? n then sold or evaluated by Reg

All the books were probly a bulk bundle drop off @ Reg's Transport Workshop manager

Our aoriginal 'S' model book has many items listed th@ did not cum wiff truck
bout 8 pages of different wire n diagrams etc
N no pix of any "S' model trucks only W n K (bonneted n COE) in book

When we purchesed the 2md 'S' model (X Ansett)
we asked for workshop manuel n they photo copied a nuther book to present to us (Book haz Kenworth Motor Trucks Address Glen Waverley ( a office above the shops)

Yes .... the truck of the day twas jist a nuther tool to get er dun
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126245 by binder
Replied by binder on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639

"you younger blokes are more nostalgic about em than us because then they were just another job"

I don't think you could have written it much better than that Ol Mate...

It throws a whole different light on the game when you rely on it for a living..
Dreaming about driving along in your whatever it was is a whole lot different than laying under it in the mud on the side of the track with a heap of busted bits..

Always two sides to a story..

Its a great 'Industry' we have, no matter what side of the wheel you were sitting on..

Keep on Truckin

chocs 8-)

there was plenty of layin in the mud
one I remember was a bloke nickname 'lucky starr'

subbie for western gold he dropped a valve on a formula 290 in a ki25 on a back track near ulan with about 40 ton of grain on

it was winter p!ssin rain and he was in the middle of the camber of the track so I told him to dig a hole under the battery box cos I had to drop her pants to fit a couple of liner kits when I climbed down after pullin the centre scone he had a fare size hole for me to crawl in but it had 10 inches of water in it!!!
i got smoke out of it just as the sun was comin up
and I NEVER want to be that cold again!!! but lucky did pay me!
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by binder.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126246 by
Replied by on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
....35 years painting these things also includes a heck of a lot of spannering before and after....sometimes it can drive you nuts.....doesn't stop a bloke trying to get to the bottom of a few mysteries for all to enjoy.....even if you can sometimes be looked upon as being a wetback.... ::) ::) ::) ::)

.....BillyP mentioned the book was a maintenance manual....these are mostly generic, and cut across quite a few models...as Swishy will attest....the real book for ch/no 76639 would be the factory parts book...complete with arrows for the proper specced items, diagrams, and infill sheets for the various vendor supplied assemblies this particular vehicle would have been issued with...

...BillyP has got an interesting historical item there....but they were never properly specific to the chassis number as was the parts books.....cheers

PS .. book 68 was a factory parts book compiled prior to the first seven chassis numbers being issued.....but was specific to them first seven chassis'....

More
10 years 7 months ago #126247 by binder
detective I don't think I would refer to anyone on this forum as a 'wetback' we have all played different rolls in this industry and all important! but if you had 'rattled my chain' when I was on the fizz in the Kynuna pub with kr and norm Addison back then it would be a very different outcome

enjoy the history bloke

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126248 by
....i'll try to enjoy the history binder.....but i'll just go on not enjoying painting them ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 7 months ago #126249 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
Bit of Useless info to keep the pot on the boil
LOL
Ansett trucks had Factory fitted
Heated mirrors
8V-71 derated 265hp 1950rpm
Motorola am radio
here in oz fitted Smiths cab heaters
GM diesel Sign under the kenworth badge on side of hood

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 7 months ago #126250 by binder
yeah great swish but how were the mirrors mounted??
inquiring minds and rc members need ta no!!!

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126251 by
....funny you mention that binder, as the earliest seven Aussie S models had the doors reinforced for door mounted mirrors, and....dare i say it...a riveted strengthener was mounted across the door internally for where the lower door bracket would have been...these earliest RHD ones were somewhat experimental in their development

...highway Kenny's in the USA at the time had door mounted mirrors (as a rule)...whereby the off highway jiggers had the more heavier duty cowl mount style....

....John Holmstrom (Paccar) recognised our very rough roads out here and specified the cowl mount mirrors for all of our conventional and semi conventional range....

...so there is a little bit of history on the Aussie KW mirrors...and the way they were mounted.....cheers :) :) :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #126252 by binder
detective I wouldn't be pattin john holmstrom on the back to hard mate!! that cab ran for nearly 20 years and I haven't seen one that didn't have issues with door mounted mirrors in the u.s including my 51 and 63 and the ones imported here and a 8 year old kid could come up with a better deal than that meccano set cowl mount
on the of hyway u.s trucks!!!to the average aussie back then reinforcing the lower door area would be just commom sence

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds