Skip to main content

Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126273 by
Replied by on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639

well im no rivet counter but I am one of those old b@stards that was around back then and I would like to think my memory is pretty good!!! if the truck in question ended up with mc mullens from orbost and billys paperwork says v6-71 then he may well be correct!!!!
around 1966 mc mullens had 2 s models and they loaded out of don binns yard in queen st Revesby and as a apprentice back then I regularly serviced dons fleet as well as those 2 s models of mc mullens , one had a 8v -71 the other a 6 v -71 the service bay had a blackboard with each trucks filters and oil capacity listed
including McMullens 2 smodels

I got a very large kick in the @rse once for filling the 6v to the 8v,s sump capacity so its etched in my mind pretty well
some years back I did mention to one of the s model gurus that mc mullens had a v6 71 and a 8v and was promptly told I didn't no what I was talkin about cos he had it all on paper!!!! even though he was probably in nappys at the time I was layin under mc mullens trucks!!! thanks for the post billy I owe you a beer

I do not know if the McMullins S-models had 8v71 or 6v71 as I was not around back then... But taking Binder's advise I think they did have 6v71s. Cheers James.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 6 months ago #126274 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
Sorry to drag this up again.....but...........

I thought the following might be interestin..........

I was recently talkin to a bloke that i know pretty well, but only see occasionly,....now this bloke worked

for Ed Cameron before & during the Cameron KW era.

When KW took over the show, he moved with them, stayin with KW till he retired some years ago.

So....most of his workin life was spent under the KW banner.

I did mention to him about this thread & he said ill tell you somethin else about the early S/Ns

that makes trackin things a bit hard now a days.

When they came in as CKD kits with a particular S/N,,that didnt always mean that was the configureation

they were delivered in.........meanin that if the original sale fell through or it may have been a stock (spare)

truck ( or what ever ) , the buyin customer then might say i dont want the Spicer, i want a R/R ...or

he might say i dont want the T /Bars or i want a diffrent diff ratio ... etc....etc.

Then the truck would be built accordingly. But he didnt remember any engine changes,but thats not to say

that it didnt happen.

Manuals would be made up to suit the sold truck. BUT....he sez as far as records were concerned , the S/N

& original spec sheet stayed the same. So...to read the available old speck sheets, may, (in some cases )

not be a true indication of the truck as it was sold.

I hope that may be of interest to some one...................Billy.................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
9 years 6 months ago #126275 by dieseldog
Billy, I hear what your saying. I recently got the spec sheets for my Kenworth, #400046, and it says that my truck was fitted with an 8v71 and 5.29 diffs; but the sticker on the truck says exactly what was fitted- a 6v71 and 4.88 diffs. Curlier still is if you look at the microfiche, it is actually for another truck (a W925, mine is a W923) and the last two digits of the serial number have been over written by hand.

While I have been stripping my old girl down, I have noticed that a different cab roof was fitted prior to final assembly in Australia, and I have just found some holes indicating that an external air cleaner has been fitted the RHS of the truck, despite the fact it came with an under hood element, had no cut out in the side of the bonnet and none of the previous owners had fitted one.

I'm guessing that because my truck is so early, its had a different identity in the states before it underwent the CKD process and was made to order here with aussie chassis rails.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
9 years 6 months ago #126276 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639

DD,
Could be the case with yours ......i guess at the time it didnt really matter how the unit

was built up , as long as the customer got what he wanted & was happy ,

that was all that mattered.
.....................Billy......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
9 years 6 months ago #126277 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
BillyP and all with info on this thread - would there be a record on the cab over operated by Clive Brothers livestock
transport of Croydon Vic.? Mentioned in the list of early sales in the Cameron book. Think it was 8-71, bogie drive and
pulled about 38 foot 3 deck sheep crate back in 1966. Remember them doing 3 loads Mortlake - Melbourne in the time
it took us to do 2 in AA180s with 34 foot 2 deck crates. Old boss most impressed so when he'd made enough sold them
and bought his own in the seventies and carted general freight. His ambition to own one good truck came into being! Thanks for the interesting history contained in your comments. Cheers from Paul.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #126278 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
if me remembererer serves me right

Think n it may have had a Straight 6-71 Screemer

After Clive bros went to Lance Smith Heavy Haulage then to LS subby Peter Walker n he may have traded it in on a new KW better known az the Pacific Princess

me thinx

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Swishy.

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #126279 by
Replied by on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
g'day all .. s'cuse me for being off topic and welcome to the forum PaulFH....

... the Clive brothers 1965 Kenny cabover is very much alive and kicking and in exceptional condition for her age... we were fortunate to be able to crawl all over her last weekend while nephew Jason was preparing to transit his new acquisition back home...(an early original Cummins 335 Bayswater cabover ch/no 400129) 8-) 8-)

...the old Clive Bros' banger was originally an inline GM 671... converted at some point to an 8V71, working at a later stage for Pakenham Blue Metal and is still in their colour scheme with the very old ''KW'' nameplates under the doors (ch/no 104438) 8-) 8-)

...dieseldog .. does your door jamb tag say ''Kenworth Motor Trucks Kansas Missouri?...there is all probability she was originally nailed together in the states, although bearing an Australian chassis number...

...the first of the Aussie K models were assembled at Kansas before being dismantled for shipment to Australia and re-erection.... being the fourth Aussie WS2 i wouldn't be surprised if the same occurred with these earliest models....and may explain the dogs breakfast of weird, head scratching details....cheers

More
9 years 6 months ago #126280 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Re: Re S- 900 KW s/n 76639
Thanks Swishy and Detective, most interesting. Credit to original build quality and owners' care
that truck still around along with many others. Cheers to all, Paul.

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds