Skip to main content

3070 Acco

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126344 by clarkyinaus
3070 Acco was created by clarkyinaus
Was having a look at 3074B 'Eagle' today....1979 model, 903, OD 15sp, Dual range eatons on Hendrickson.

This one has a large 'T liner' type cab......was there a model of 3070's fitted with the big cabs prior to the 2670's of the early 80's?

Also the OD box and dual range diffs were they a factory fitment? All the ones I have seen over the years mostly had 9sp & 38 rockwells.

I'll throw up some pics of the old girl later.....

[IMG

cheers Clarky
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by clarkyinaus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126345 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: 3070 Acco
Clarky, I'd guess not actually a T line cab, but a sleeper cabbed ACCO, were a cool looking thing I always thought, having owned a couple of 3070's. The T line cab is wider and has a tunnel for the 6 cylinder cummins.

What 1 3070 isn't enough?
Mind I must admit, I did enjoy driving your 3070, must have been a bit of nostalgia, LOL.

From memory the Eagle had a 15 speed and jake brakes standard, and of course the Eagle badge and flash red/white paint job, and 5 cab lights.
A 3074 just means it has 44,000lb diffs.
A 3072 is the 8X4.

Saw this one in Gayndah a year or two ago-

[IMG

My first truck-

[IMG
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bigcam.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126346 by
Replied by on topic Re: 3070 Acco
....the early ''T Line'' cab was about 6''-8'' wider, which overhung the mudguards on the 3070's underpinnings, and were eventually a more integral fit with the Atkinson style fibreglass mudguards that they all got fitted with later in the model run...

...the full sleeper 3070 was another IH invention....but not with the wider cab.....

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126347 by clarkyinaus
Replied by clarkyinaus on topic Re: 3070 Acco
Well you learn something new every day.......It is the first one that I have seen with the 'sleeper' cab.

I guess that they can't be all the common and probably not in this condition.

Yep, need to keep upgrading to old trucks Cam!!

Has factory fitted Jake's.....but disconnected.

So they would be the 44lb Eatons then? DT451?
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by clarkyinaus.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126348 by bigcam
Clarky, if they are dual range they are Eaton's, and I would guess a bit rare in a 3070, the tipper in my pics looks like it has Eaton diffs under it. Most 3074's had SSHD 44,000 lb Rockwell diffs, bit I have seen a few with Eatons under them too, in fact I own one or whats left of one with Eaton diffs under it.

The first T lines had the standard length ACCO style cab and the backs of the seats folded forwards to give you bit more room in the "sleeper", of course the original old ACCO itself only had the book shelf behind the seats, that was comfort plus, I slept in one for 2 weeks back in the late 80's on a trip to Darwin, think I'm defiantly older and fatter now. LOL.

That one in your pics looks very nice, give me a yell when you want to donate the other one to my museum. LOL.

More
10 years 7 months ago #126349 by binder
Replied by binder on topic Re: 3070 Acco
cam when those eagles came out ' westend' a ihc dealer in st marys did one in a sleeper cab with a bunch of blink for the Sydney truck show and it made the cover of truckin life it was metallic brown, saw it a few years back with a tipper body on demolition work it looked pretty sad , I had a 3070 b and slept across the seats a lot better than the bookshelf good truck but would get a hop up in the suspension for no apparent reason

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #126350 by bigcam
Binder, if it had Hendrickson suspension (which it probably did), they all had the "Hendrickson Hop", start around 50-55 km/h and drive out of it about 70 km/h. Louisville's did the same thing, I've seen shockies on the back axle to try and stop it and all sorts, putting a Reyco under it is a good fix, but you don't get the articulation if you are using it off the highway.

Clarky, there aren't too many hills out your way, I'd leave the Jakes disconnected. Your other 3070 has Jakes too, and they are disconnected too.

More
10 years 7 months ago #126351 by clarkyinaus
Replied by clarkyinaus on topic Re: 3070 Acco
Thanks Cam, yep that was the plan.....it seems to be the fastest way to kill them.

More
10 years 7 months ago #126352 by clarkie383
Replied by clarkie383 on topic Re: 3070 Acco
Bigcam are you saying the quickest way to kill a 903 is to use the jakes?
Why and how?
Dumb question time :-[

More
10 years 7 months ago #126353 by binder
Replied by binder on topic Re: 3070 Acco
cam n clarky these been a lot of bullsh!t spoken about jakes on 903,s and cam damage ect and its just that bullsh!t I fitted one of the first and countless ones since
and its about how there fitted !!! theres 2 types the early one only mounted on the rocker studs and the later type had a extra mount off a lower head bolt we discovered that the rocker posts they sat on all had different heights and the housing were all sitting cockeyed to the head and to each other!!!!! a bit of time with a depth mic and a few shims solved the problem. the early ones would still break the housings at the mounting studs if used with a cold engine so they went to the extra mount as for cam failure I studied this pretty well back then and cam failure would happen regardless of jakes or not and on both different rocker ratios , cummins sourced parts from many different suppliers and I think it was just poor quality most times. my903 has a million plus k,s had jakes all its life and still the original cam

[IMG

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds