Skip to main content

old Double Decker bus bolards lagoon A

More
10 years 4 months ago #131127 by Zuffen
So if the busses were moved in the early 60's the roads would have been pretty nasty.

The Strez only improved as a result of Moomba Gas Field and even in the 90's the road to Betoota was pretty ugly to flat tow a bus over.

Seems a lot of work for not much gain.

I'll be at Cameron Corner for New Year so I'll do some asking around.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #131128 by Bugly

So if the busses were moved in the early 60's the roads would have been pretty nasty.

The Strez only improved as a result of Moomba Gas Field and even in the 90's the road to Betoota was pretty ugly to flat tow a bus over.

Seems a lot of work for not much gain.

I'll be at Cameron Corner for New Year so I'll do some asking around.

Maybe the cost was shared by twenty girls :o :o :o

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 4 months ago #131129 by Lang
Bugly,

If the entrepreuner convinced 20 girls to put up money then sit in a flat towed bus 2,000km on rough roads clearly they were being taken for a ride.

Lang

More
10 years 4 months ago #131130 by Zuffen
Or were ugly girls in need of some funds!

More
10 years 4 months ago #131131 by V8Ian
Written by the Bollards land owner ...

"The bus was taken away because of the rubbish collecting around it,&also as it is a stock watering point we try to discourage people from camping there. Hemma maps have it down as a camp site without any authority from the land owner.as this is a designated watering point under the pastoral board act no camping allowed within one KM. The history of the bus, it was towed there in 1972 with a grader by George Rieck to be used as a camp for pumping water & stockmen. Originally the bus was electric trolly bus either from Sydney or Adelaide. The bus used to be owned by GEO surveys REG Sprigg & used in the early years in the search for oil &Gas in the Cooper basin.Over the years it has slowly deteriorated with more travelers on the road every year. Hope this gives a bit about the bus Bollards lagoon past co.

10 years 4 months ago #131132 by
....thanks V8 Ian .. detectives just love to see mysteries solved.... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

More
10 years 4 months ago #131133 by V8Ian

Written by the Bollards land owner ...

"The bus was taken away because of the rubbish collecting around it,&also as it is a stock watering point we try to discourage people from camping there. Hemma maps have it down as a camp site without any authority from the land owner.as this is a designated watering point under the pastoral board act no camping allowed within one KM. The history of the bus, it was towed there in 1972 with a grader by George Rieck to be used as a camp for pumping water & stockmen. Originally the bus was electric trolly bus either from Sydney or Adelaide. The bus used to be owned by GEO surveys REG Sprigg & used in the early years in the search for oil &Gas in the Cooper basin.Over the years it has slowly deteriorated with more travelers on the road every year. Hope this gives a bit about the bus Bollards lagoon past co.

I'd like to see stockmen being pumped........................on second thoughts, maybe not. ;D

More
10 years 4 months ago #131134 by Mrsmackpaul
they made a movie about that didnt they "Broke Back Mountain " :D :D :D :D :D

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #131135 by plastic bertrand
just got off the phone to my father regarding the bus's being out yonder as i remembered dad telling me stories... Reg Spriggs of Geo Surveys bought three trolley bus's (ex adelaide) none had motors and were towed by a frame from site to site during mineral/gas exploration. #1 was Regs office. files downstairs office top. #2 was cooks bus, kitchen downstairs mess upstairs. #3 was for sleeping quarters which as dad said was totaly fn useless. toooo cramped. he went on to say they were towed by a frame behind the drill rigs and water tankers which were at the time Inter 190's which were shipped in by Reg Spriggs (dads mate) from Lybia complete with bomber tyres which were perfect in the Sandy Dessert but failed around Camerons cnr due to the "gibbers". dad has all the photo's to prove this just anal in allowing me to copy his slides. i have a few so far and this thread prompted me and him in conversation that i need his pictures to share the in situ pictures of his trucking the dessert in the fiftys with a good camera. one side comment he made was the lybian 190's were the perfect desert truck and believe it or not the Vanguard car had the perfect combination for desert travel and their preference over the willys jeep, landrover, and anything else Reg supplied that wasnt truck!!
cheers tim
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by plastic bertrand.

More
10 years 4 months ago #131136 by plastic bertrand
well seems mum had a copy of all dads pictures b4 the devorce!!
seem to remember that these pictures are of what is moomba gasfeilds today. pictures of the double decker buses dad used to talk about when he worked for Reg Spriggs and the mines dept in the fiftys.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds