Skip to main content

Friendly Fodens with two strokes

More
10 years 2 months ago #136953 by Dave_64
Hi All,

Got another general purpose question for the thinkers out there! Gasbagging with a mate earlier tonight and the subject came up about the "Mighty Antars" that worked in the Snowy Project a lifetime ago. I had only ever seen photo's of them myself. The mate thought that the two that worked down there were powered by Rolls Royce diesels, I had an idea that they may have been Meadows engines? Anyway, whatever happened to them? Do they still exist? Or cut up for scrap?

Also, fascinating piece i came across about the "Friendly Fodens" and the part they played in opening up remote areas of Western, Northern and Central Australia. Which brings up my second question. I well remember the old 8 wheeler "Friendlies" that ABM ran around Sydney when I was but a boy in knee length shorts. I would have said that the majority of them were either Gardner powered, or maybe even R.R or Cummins, but mostly the LW's and LX's??

Foden also made their own two stroke motor, of course. I think there was both a 4 cylinder and a six cylinder version? Would there have been all that many come to OZ with this two stroke? If so, do any survive? Would like to know a bit more about them.

Cheers, Dave 64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136954 by mammoth
I believe the Snowy Antars were fitted with RR meteorite motors ( a derivitave of the spitfire merlin motor) V8 18 litre diesel, 250 hp @ 2,000 rpm. Petrol versions were 285hp. Later Antars used a straight 8 RR at 333hp as well as other variants.
The Snowy ones went to a colliery in the Wollongong area, working as tippers, and survived right into the 80's (?). At 11'6" wide they were not registerable and as the owner thought there was no interest they were cut up :'( >:(
In recent years one has been imported from England and lives in the Cooma area.
Others may know more.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136955 by ray
A couple of years back there was a report that the remains of one of the Antars was located in Tassie. The report said that all that was left was the front section of the chassis, engine and radiator.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136956 by Dave_64
Thanks Guys,
Gather the coal area where the Antars eventually ended up was somewhere around Pt Kembla?
Dave 64

More
10 years 2 months ago #136957 by Beaver
At some stage in the 70s, a couple of the Antars were reported being in a scrap/dealer yard near Campbelltown. There was a large coal mining operation at nearby Glenlee in that era.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
10 years 2 months ago #136958 by overnite
Me thinks this thread has been hijacked. Doesn't seem to be much about Foden 2T

More
10 years 2 months ago #136959 by Dave_64
OK, Point taken, we have sorted out whatever happened to the Thornycroft Antars.

Maybe someone will pick up the ball re the Foden two stroke motors in Australia?

Thanks, Dave 64

More
10 years 2 months ago #136960 by atkipete
I dont think many Foden 2 strokes came here, mainly Gardners.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 2 months ago #136961 by Swishy
If me remember duz wotzit spose to do

KP Neal had a 2 stroke foden

many th@ appreciated the Jimmy Diesels
took it 4 granted th@ the Foden 2 stroke diesel engine th@ makes the same muzac as the screemers must B ok

eye'm not sure of the Foden 2 stroke diesel reliabibility

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 2 months ago #136962 by Mrsmackpaul
I seem to remember reading in a book on road trains years ago about some bloke in the NT that had one of them 2 strokers said something about the only people silly enough to run them not sure who it was but could have a read might have to give me a week or two to read the book though anyone else got any ideas ???
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds