Skip to main content

Friendly Fodens with two strokes

More
10 years 2 months ago #136963 by mammoth
The reliability of the marine versions was proven in several record braeking Atlantic crossings. Main problem would have been that they didn't make enough of them to get scale of economy, and they didn't have more power than anything else so not much point.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #136964 by fageol100
Between 1953 and the early 1970s around 115 trucks and 5 PVRF6 rear engine bus chassis were supplied to New Zealand operators fitted with Foden 2 stroke diesel engines. These vehicles were initially supplied by N.Z. distributors Fodenway Motors in Auckland and later on by other franchise holders as well-Robert Holt and Sons at Napier in Hawkes Bay and Gore Services in Southland.
There were 6 of the small FE4/8 model with 4 cylinder 84 h.p. 2.8 litre FD4 Mk.1 engine. All the others were 6 cylinders-starting with the 4.1 litre 126 h.p. FD6 Mk.1 and Mk.2 motors-through the 150 h.p. FD6 Mk.3-still at 4.1 litres-and on to the larger 4.8 litre 175 h.p. FD6 Mk.6 and turbocharged 225 h.p. and 600 lbs/ft. torque FD6 Mk.7. The Mk.7 2 strokes with turbo and Roots blower were not known to be a very long life motor. Most of the 2 stroke Fodens were fitted with Fodens' 12 speed epicyclic gearbox initially with two sticks and later with 4 gears on the gear lever and the 3 splits on an air controlled stick on steering column.
There were a lot more 2 stroke powered Fodens sold here than Gardner powered ones-there were 8 of the small OG4/6 models with 4LK motor, some half cab FGD5/16 dump trucks with 5LWs and similar FGD6/16 with 6LWs. Some of the first Fodens supplied here from 1953 were FGD6/12 full cab dump trucks with 6LWs. There were also some crane carrier chassis with 6LWs and 6LXs. In the late 1970s there were 3 S83 cab AG 25/36 single drive prime movers with 8LXB/240 power supplied. These weren't quite the last Gardner powered Fodens as there were a few S106T models supplied in the late 1980s with the big 6LYT motor at 350 h.p.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by fageol100.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136965 by Dave_64
Any still alive, or in a museum anywhere in Oz? The two stroke engines I mean?

Dave 64

More
10 years 2 months ago #136966 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
I did not know there were that many in Australia, certainly I had no idea that there were more imported with the 6cyl 2 stroke than made with Gardner 6LW diesels. Good that other Forum members have the info.
I have seen 3 in my time. 2 were listed a few months ago on EBAY apparently in perfect nick as marine engines. I think I recall they were reconditioned. I did not pay too much attention as the price on $10,000 was way outside my 'hobby' budget for an engine I would like but do not need.
The other time was on a fellows farm outside Lithgow when he had a fibreglass Foden with the 2 stroke in it. he was selling it and I hear it sold to go to Victoria and has been fixed up.

Kind Regards

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #136967 by Cunning Stunt
Here's the one from near Lithgow, used to belong to the Waterboard and was a cement agitator. From memory it had 54,260 miles when we got it, might have been 57,260. Either way it was original mileage and once it was started it ran like a clock. It was purchased and used on the Warragamba Dam project. Currently in South Australia awaiting what will be a flawless restoration

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

When we were preparing it for transport we went and saw Brian Abood and collected a heap of brand new and second hand Foden parts to go with it. Thay gave us 2-Stroke parts and they said they had run one for quite a while but reliability saw them change it to a Gardner. I think that Vichung had a Mickey Mouse semi trailer tanker for Mobil as well that ran a Stroker

Some play hard to get
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Cunning Stunt.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136968 by grandad
Here's a 12cyl Foden engine from around 1957[im
[IMG
g][/img]

More
10 years 2 months ago #136969 by HEOFTHEHUM
ABOODS tpt at Northmead had a 2 stroke Foden engine sitting on the floor at the end of the shed.
I know because I asked Cedric what it was and he told me, theyd taken it out of the truck and fitted a Rolls Royce diesel, the Abood boys loved their RRs.
Thats all I remember it was about 1984/5, its probably still there.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #136970 by Cunning Stunt
It's long gone now HOTH, when we were there in 2006 or so they were scrapping everything and the building is now demolished :'(

And you're right, it was repowered with RR, they even had a brand new RR Eagle engine there for sale

Some play hard to get
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Cunning Stunt.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136971 by Dave_64
Best of luck with the Foden restoration, will be worth waiting for to see how she polishes up!

Couldn't help noticing the CAV type pump and the unit injectors, bit of a departure from the usual GM type?

More
10 years 2 months ago #136972 by johncat07
A very good video of a 2 stroke foden! :)

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds