Skip to main content

Friendly Fodens with two strokes

10 years 2 months ago #136973 by
....don't you love those dour faced pommies... ::) ::) ::)

...every thing is so bloody important!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136974 by Dave_64
Certainly had a unique sound to them!

More
10 years 2 months ago #136975 by BRS FH66
When I drove for Gascoyne Trading in the 60s, all their Fodens had Gardeners in them. Masters Dairy also had Gardner powered Fodens. Readymix had a number of Fodens with Cummins 220s in them as well as some with Gardners. When I worked for Bell Bros they also had Fodens as well as Macks and I think that they may have had a Foden 2 stroke among their fleet.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136976 by BRS FH66
Since writing this post, I have been speaking to another old Bell Bros driver, and he assures me that they never had any two-strokes. He thinks that the only two-stroke in WA was an 8-wheeler prime mover owned by O'Connor Cranes.

When I drove for Gascoyne Trading in the 60s, all their Fodens had Gardeners in them. Masters Dairy also had Gardner powered Fodens. Readymix had a number of Fodens with Cummins 220s in them as well as some with Gardners. When I worked for Bell Bros they also had Fodens as well as Macks and I think that they may have had a Foden 2 stroke among their fleet.

10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #136977 by
...g'day BRS FH66 .. O'Conner cranes were tied up with the O'Neil's who had the Foden franchise Australia wide and were early agents for Peterbilt trucks in the West...

More
10 years 2 months ago #136978 by FatBob103
I believe there was a Foden with a two stroke engine operating in Kambalda for a while in the early 70s.
I saw a Foden Two Stroke engine in the New Plymouth motor Museum in New Zealand in the late 90s. Don't know if it is still there.

Cheers

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
10 years 1 month ago #136979 by oldbob70
G'day gentlemen
O`Connors Foden used to cart out of Readymix Quarries at Gosnells in Perth to Humes concrete works in Subiaco-- in the days when to get to Subi--- you used St Georges Terrace to go through the city of Perth .
The sound of the two stroker among the buildings and past Parliament house would send shivers up your spine.
The driver was a big ginger haired fellow called of course Bluey

Oldbob

More
10 years 1 month ago #136980 by Thunder Down Under

G'day gentlemen
O`Connors Foden used to cart out of Readymix Quarries at Gosnells in Perth to Humes concrete works in Subiaco-- in the days when to get to Subi--- you used St Georges Terrace to go through the city of Perth .
The sound of the two stroker among the buildings and past Parliament house would send shivers up your spine.
The driver was a big ginger haired fellow called of course Bluey

Oldbob

I remember this Foden. Was going to post about it but didn't know if it was a Two Stroke. I was driving a Reo for John Curzon? at the time hauling blue metal at Swan Qurries.

TDU

10 years 1 month ago #136981 by
....'spose the next question is......where is the big old beast??

More
10 years 1 month ago #136982 by Thunder Down Under

....'spose the next question is......where is the big old beast??

Wouldn't have a clue. I'm going back to the late '60's. I also got the name of my employer wrong. I have forgotten his name but the depot was on the east corner of Waneroo Road and Amelia Street where the Northlands shopping centre now stands.

He was also part of OD Transport of Esperance, where I drove an Albion LAD cab on grain haulage.

TDU

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds