Skip to main content

Re Rhodes Ridley

More
9 years 4 months ago #152181 by ken j
Re Rhodes Ridley was created by ken j
Hi All

Does any one have any info on the twin engine Rhodes ridley that was put together in WA? :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #152182 by
Replied by on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley
Hi mate .. google "HCVC forum Rhodes Ridley" and it will get you where you want to go....cheers mate :) :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #152183 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley
Ive got a few photos from the last time it was up my way, the builder was even driving it at the time, the old GMs were a bit smoky but it did sound the part.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152184 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley
Just Google Rhodes Ridley, there is a bit of info comes up including the above link.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152185 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley
Great bit of gear! Wonder how they synchronised the two inline 6/71's? Were they bolted end to end as in making a straight 12? Or, more than likely, if they were side by side like they were installed in the PT boats and had one running in reverse direction and coupled to a common flywheel? Similar to those Holt machines? Must have been massive transmissions and diff set ups? They certainly did some fascinating things way back when! There's one in the eye for these modern day "engineers" who say it cannot be done and dispatch it to the TOO HARD basket!

Dave

More
9 years 4 months ago #152186 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley
The engines came out of a tank, can't recall what sort, and were side by side. I have some pics somewhere that I took when it was at the 2000 reunion in Alice Springs, I'll see if I can find them.

More
9 years 4 months ago #152187 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley
This photo is from the NHMA Rally at Fairbridge Village, Pinjarra WA in 2011. Unfortunately it does not show the engine configuration.

[IMG

9 years 4 months ago #152188 by
Replied by on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley

I googled the Rhodes Ridley and I did come across the engine configuration.........its like two banks side by side like a V8 but not a Vee but inline. seemed to have individual cranks but only 1 output shaft out the back.

Intererestingly as a kid I used to play on their equipment in the Rhodes Welshpool/Bentley yard and as an adult worked at Woody Woody

More
9 years 4 months ago #152189 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley
One of the pommy magazines did a full story on this truck. From memory, a bell housing was fabricated to fit the two motors side by side and geared together with one output shaft.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #152190 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Re Rhodes Ridley
Weren't the engines from General Grant tanks ?

members.iinet.net.au/~maxe/

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by werkhorse.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds