Skip to main content

A nice old Thornycroft

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #154542 by
Replied by on topic Re: A nice old Thornycroft

D/C, have a real good look at the cab again, think you'll find the roof is fibre glass and the lower bits are steel, even looks like the mudguards are steel as well.
If you have a look at the line of rivets below the windscreen, and these go around the cab too, you will see where the glass roof has been riveted onto the steel.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

....rivets?, rivets?....did someone mention rivets? !!! ;D ;D.

...these Thornycroft blokes must've been trendsetters in their day 8-) 8-) 8-)...the Kenworth people saw this clever style of fibreglass roof/steel cab riveted construction and adopted it on their range of premium highway bangers years later ::) ::)

...God luv the Thornycrofts !! :) :) :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #154543 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: A nice old Thornycroft
Seed be able to put those back on interstate duty

9 years 2 months ago #154544 by

Seed .....Din kno U were into modern stuff
LOL

cya

...just going by the unit number Swishy, he's got another 55 of 'em !! :o :o ;D ;D....onya 'seed 8-)

More
9 years 2 months ago #154545 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: A nice old Thornycroft
Actually Detective I've got 3 complete ones & a couple of Parts ones & they're all within a few Fleet numbers of each other.
All part of a batch sold New to the "Council of the City of Sydney".

#56 is a runner too!!
when I bought it, After we'd Loaded It The Bloke went inside, Came out & handed Me the Operators Manual..
That doesn't happen Too often..

BTW: I think Mammoth also has a couple of the same batch..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 2 months ago #154546 by Tired Iron
G'day Boys and Girls
It's been a while since I've been here.
This is what I like about this Forum. One question about an old pommy lorry, and stacks of info, pics and on it goes.
Keep up the old banger stuff, no matter which country it comes from. And keep up the Events and pics and ....everything.
Cheers :) :) :) :)

9 years 2 months ago #154547 by
This old Thornycroft sold at a clearance sale almost next door for a few hundred $$$$ about 18 montha ago. Looked like an all metal cab to me, but I could be wrong.

More
9 years 2 months ago #154548 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: A nice old Thornycroft
Looks like a diesel too, and no rust. Easy to tell the earlier Sturdy Stars as The big T was solid whereas the later ones was a hollow pressing with the model in small letters. I suspect that the glass mudguards on the sturdys were repair replacements - I have two new ones on the shelf.
The ex Sydney tippers were being sold off at the time wheat was changing from bag to bulk handling. Even with the sides extended to roof height the springs hardly noticed, and they ride, steer, and change gears real easy. Shame they are totally gutless. The cockies typically bought multiple numbers of them so they could run a shuttle to the silos at harvest time.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #154549 by
...the metal roof might co-incide with the stainless windscreen surrounds ?? :-/

...there appears to be a strengthening hump down the middle of the fibreglass roof as well.

More
9 years 2 months ago #154550 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: A nice old Thornycroft
I know nuthin about Thorny's but I seem to recall stainless windscreen surrounds were invented to keep the original windscreens in the fiberglass cabs aftger it all wore away, Like the Mk1 down below...

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
9 years 2 months ago #154551 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: A nice old Thornycroft
One of my donors is No 267 so they must have had a few of them. The twins are 83 & 84, and a long wheelbase one is 40.
The windscreens on the Sturdys hinge open which is why they have the metal frame.

Time to create page: 0.468 seconds