Skip to main content

Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage

• Topic Author
8 years 11 months ago #159338 by
Replied by on topic Re: Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage
I found this pic on the net a while ago, all credit to the photographer.

I think Muswellbrook Cranes had these two trucks for a while around late 90's early 2000's.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159339 by rex
Paul
They were very low geared, when you had them on full noise, and there was plenty of noise, they only wanted to go straight ahead. The solution was to have another truck in front to drag their nose around when you had to turn a corner.
They are a Paccar product, Paccar purchased Dart at some time in the past, my experience with them while rather short was close to 30 years ago, they were starting to look old then.
Dare I say it they could pull, put two on the thing and it was coming with you like it or not, 400 / 500 tonnes no problem, the screaming, smoke, fumes you name it all added to the show.
We just don't have all that great Showman's stuff anymore, throw a couple of 700 Volvo's on it and away we go.

I really should refrain from making comparisons like this, but I can't help myself.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 11 months ago #159340 by Mrsmackpaul
good onya rex thanks for the input I was expecting something like what could you expect for a Paccar product but showed great restraint :D

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 5 months ago #176839 by Mrsmackpaul

rex wrote: Paul
They were very low geared, when you had them on full noise, and there was plenty of noise, they only wanted to go straight ahead. The solution was to have another truck in front to drag their nose around when you had to turn a corner.
They are a Paccar product, Paccar purchased Dart at some time in the past, my experience with them while rather short was close to 30 years ago, they were starting to look old then.
Dare I say it they could pull, put two on the thing and it was coming with you like it or not, 400 / 500 tonnes no problem, the screaming, smoke, fumes you name it all added to the show.
We just don't have all that great Showman's stuff anymore, throw a couple of 700 Volvo's on it and away we go.

I really should refrain from making comparisons like this, but I can't help myself.
Rex

Dunno why but for some reason cant remember why I went looking for this old thread and stumbled across this
Rex you mention they the Dart trucks would only want to go straight ahead and not turn a corner what was the reason for this do you remember didnt they have proper diffs or no power divider or was it just a Yanky thing no one ever worked out ????

sorry about dragging this old thread out again but I was thinking and yeah I know thats dangerous

seeya

Paul

More
7 years 5 months ago #176840 by Dave_64
Great to rehash some of these old postings.Stirs the memory a bit, especially the references to the "Men from Marrs". If I haven't completely lost the plot, seem to think at some stage they had a few red B model Macks??
Also, if the memory hasn't failed completely, they used to do the odd haul for a few of the earthmoving contractors who worked in the Sydney City area. Christies (later to become part of the Mayne Nickless Group),had quite a few Cat D9's doing excavation and ripping down in the bowels of city blocks, seem to remember Marrs moving them on the odd occasion. Also one of the Halvorsen's (of the boat building fame) had at least one D8H doing same city work. IDSTBC, but I think there was some footage on one of the Sydney TV channels where the Men from Marrs had some massive imported mobile crane (Liebherr??) plucking Halvorsen's D8 off the back of a float and lowering it down into a hole just off George Street Sydney. Reckon that was around mid to late 1960's, roughly the same era that the Syd-Gosford expressway was being punched through. Never know, someone or other may have a few old photo's to throw up here.
Dave_64

More
7 years 5 months ago #176847 by geoffb
So Rex is a old closest Paccar man :blink:
Are you there Swishy :whistle:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 5 months ago #176855 by Swishy
ReX
M80

them ol KW trucks were orsm for th@ era ...... V12-71 screemers, planetary drives .. wiff big foot printz
we B talk n ovr 40 years ago

Long B 4 any one cood spl 'V'Bus

LOL

Cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 4 months ago #176897 by Mrsmackpaul
I take it Rex must be busy winding up the 700 hp rubber band on his V bus ?????LOL

Paul

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 4 months ago #176905 by Swishy
Mrs
Gudday M8

Me Guess n ReX would have 700 problems with his 'V'Bus Fleet
n probly bizzy ' in n under ' bust n sum knuckles
:lol:
ReX M80 Hope the vultures aint got U
:lol:
cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 4 months ago #177307 by Mrsmackpaul
Hey Rex noticed your back from carting wind mill blades I put a question up for you a few post up the page so if you can have a ganda

hang on check this out I can copy and paste so just have a ganda bellow Rex anyway reckon you can drive this computer better than me

Paul

Rex

Dunno why but for some reason cant remember why I went looking for this old thread and stumbled across this
Rex you mention they the Dart trucks would only want to go straight ahead and not turn a corner what was the reason for this do you remember didnt they have proper diffs or no power divider or was it just a Yanky thing no one ever worked out ????

sorry about dragging this old thread out again but I was thinking and yeah I know thats dangerous

seeya

Paul

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds