Skip to main content

Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage

More
7 years 2 months ago #179834 by Mrsmackpaul
Ok I have way to much time on my hands but doing some more googling before back out to the paddock and found this on the forum with some more info on these old trucks

Paul

K.W.Dart

Hi i work for Lampson Aust in Perth and we have one of the Kenworth Darts here in Perth and is still in use today. The other one is in our Gladstone yard. They are both fitted with 12/71 GM, Alison auto's and Clark diff's and have a top speed of 27km per hour @ 2500 rpm. I will post some pic of the last job we did in W.A. with the old girl towing a 14 axel Goldhofer platform with a EX3600 EXC when i work out how to do it.

Cheers Norm

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/truck_Chat/1408-wh...eet-express?start=30

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 2 months ago #179835 by BillyP
.Yep.........Paul.....
There would be heaps of different models.....
I am just guessing......but with that super heavy set up...i would suspect that it could have had Locker centres
seeing as it liked to go straight ahead (only under loaded conditions probably, depending on the amount of
ballast on board )
Of corse...it all depends on how the truck buyer specs the thing .as to how it goes on the road..............
When i said the Clark came as standard with the Locker, i was referring to the particular axle we fitted at the time.....
I would assume that mostly the Locker may be added as an extra gismo.
..................................Billy.....................................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179892 by defective
Yes Rex .. but that big banger Kenworth is waiting in the wings in case it all goes pear shaped ol' mate ! lol.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 2 months ago #179896 by Swishy
Guyz
Moons ago the KW 1/2 truck came with a LSD diff (limited slip diff)
n way back when we were do n a few runs upto the upper thompson dam
Melb thru to Warburton , Cumberlan Junction then wide gravel road all the rest of the way

most vehicles were able to cut the cnrs n tha@ heaped the loose gravel up on the unused outa circumference of the cnrs wasn't unusual on the hills with full poweron (may be only 50-60 kph) th@ the diff would lok up n tend to push U straight ahead on cnrs ..... also with Jakes on ....... same thing twould happen cum n in to a cnr

So guess n the clarke diff lockers were do n there job n supply n power to all wheels

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
7 years 2 months ago #179897 by Mrsmackpaul
Makes sense Swish Man if full speed in them big KW was 27 km/h the diff ratio must have been something like 12 or 13 to one
So even at walking pace they would still be spinning fairly quick
On the videos that were put up on the forum it shows them doing a U turn fine but I wonder if that is because they are only rolling slow ???

Or maybe slippery diffs only work once speed is picked up

dunno much about them at all slippery diffs that is

On a farm tractor when pulling hard if you wanna turn it helps to back off to get the tractor to start to turn and once the turn is started it gently apply power and tractors have no slippery diff

Paul

• Swishy
More
7 years 2 months ago #179898 by Swishy
Mrs
Gudday M8

in sum of them hills driving max n out there weren't much speed but full power to the ground
= lok n up diff n go n straight ahead

guessn them thar huge screemer V12 powered KWhoppers would/could suffer the same wen on full power
yes U need to back off to gain control to take cnrs

cya
ยง

More
7 years 1 month ago #180342 by Pat Hutchings
Swishy,were the Wlter Wright the same ones that came into Wyndam CKD in boxes & John Ireland, Sandy Negrin & another apprentice whose name I can't remember went up there &put them together in about 1970. They pulled 2 belly dumpers each to build the dam for Lake Argyle. I think they were 9 ft. across the drive tyres & almost that spec.

More
7 years 1 month ago #180346 by Mrsmackpaul
Anyone have any photos of these ???

Paul

• Swishy
More
7 years 1 month ago #180348 by Swishy
Pat
Gudday M8
sorry me nose nut n
cya
ยง

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #180510 by Mrsmackpaul

I have been handed some information about this photo I believe by some one a lot smarter and more in the no than I will ever be

"Picture was taken when they had to bypass the overhead walkway at Redbank Plains. When you were leaving Bris, heading outbound on Ipswich Rd,
that overpass was too low for that sort of load, so you turned right across Ipswich Rd and went down the main st at Redbank. Back then there was no
round-a-bouts, or other obstacles to get in your way, just straight of Ipswich Rd into the main st and away you went
So when you came back onto Ipswich Rd, you now had to go onto the wrong side of the double lanes ( using the inbound lanes )until you got to the next
intersection that led down to the Mogill Ferry, then you got back onto your correct side of the road."

So there you go that explains some confusion about this picture

If I had to guess I would have said Debo was right "I'm certain that the 3rd pic is on the princess highway. Moe bypass in Vic on the way to the Latrobe Valley (Loy Yang?) suspect the 2nd pic is the same trip."

And next time I was Moe town I was gunna have a ganda I would have said the photo was taken off the Coalville road bridge out bound towards Morwell

And this photo was taken on Mattengley road on the way out to Loy Yang as this road was a specially built road with very heavy duty bridges and the like
Most of the other photos are taken from were a lot of this gear was assembled and stored when Loy Yang was been built to North of B station there was big assembly areas were sections were assembled before been shifted as a unit to the power station

I cant really explain my interest in these trucks they arent even the right brand but they give me horn or the same

oo roo

Paul

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Mrsmackpaul.

Time to create page: 0.593 seconds