Skip to main content

Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage

More
8 years 11 months ago #159328 by werkhorse

The other one

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159329 by Debo

The third photo has me confused; I could swear they are going inbound on the outbound lanes of Ipswich Road through (about) Gailes. (which I think a lot of that has since been resumed for the road widening).

Someone please feel free to correct me.

Jarrod.

I'm certain that the 3rd pic is on the princess highway. Moe bypass in Vic on the way to the Latrobe Valley (Loy Yang?) suspect the 2nd pic is the same trip.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159330 by asw120

The third photo has me confused; I could swear they are going inbound on the outbound lanes of Ipswich Road through (about) Gailes. (which I think a lot of that has since been resumed for the road widening).

Jarrod.

I'm certain that the 3rd pic is on the princess highway. Moe bypass in Vic on the way to the Latrobe Valley (Loy Yang?) suspect the 2nd pic is the same trip.

Caption said Rocklea to Callide - that's what had me going. They just seem to be going the wrong way.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by asw120.

More
8 years 11 months ago #159331 by hayseed

Jarrod.

Jarrod, I suspect that the picture negative has been reversed when they were laying out the Magazine...
I base my assumption on the two cars in the background been parked facing the wrong way..BISTBC

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 11 months ago #159332 by asw120
I thought of that, but with the rear truck's number plate on the right, discounted it. Another little mystery.

Wherever it is, it's a great pic from back in the day.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

• Topic Author
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #159333 by
Replied by on topic Re: Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage
...the pic is definitely not back to front as the "Danger" sign on the Mack is right there...(and also showing the later "bulldog" mudflaps going one way ;D :'()

More
8 years 11 months ago #159334 by asw120

...the pic is definitely not back to front as the "Danger" sign on the Mack is right there...(and also showing the later "bulldog" mudflaps going one way ;D :'()

Trust me to miss the obvious :D

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 11 months ago #159335 by rex
Gentlemen.
I am not sure I should get involved, temptation, for about a year or so Walter Wright operated in Sydney, you may well ask, why temptation, or for what reason I will send you to sleep with my boring account of Walter Wright.
The Walter Wright Sydney Division was Marr Contracting, some will remember it as The Men From Marrs, well about 29 years ago Michael Goldburg purchased the Transport division of Marr Contracting from Transfield. During the negotiations I came along to continue as the Manager for a minimum of six Months, I lasted six Months to the Day, Michael Goldburg went belly up about twelve Months later to the tune of 72 million.
For what it is worth a man who had found someone with a bottomless pit of money destroyed many good Companies, through arrogance and a complete misunderstanding of the complexity of heavy transport and crane hire.
For me the Temptation is very simple, had Transfield not sold Marr Contracting to Goldburg, and had Goldburg's management not made such a mess of it after I was sacked, I would not be where I am today.
Now to save any one asking why I was sacked, they had no sense of humour, sent a new GM up from Melbourne, he waltzed in to the office full of himself, straight away giving my staff instructions, we were in a two story office and after he managed to climb up the stairs for the second time, not looking quite as tidy as his first visit, believe it or not he told me my services were no longer required.
So this is my account of what was a great Company, Walter was an absolute gentleman, I owe some of where I am today, having been given the privilege of not only knowing Walter, but more so listing to him impart some of his knowledge to me.
For the Truck guys the two on the trailers are Dart's, 12 71 Detroit,s, Clark planetry hub reduction axles, not sure of the transmission. Trailers were Cometto.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
8 years 11 months ago #159336 by hayseed

Trust me to miss the obvious :D

Jarrod.

ME TOO, :-[ :-[ :-[

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 11 months ago #159337 by Mrsmackpaul
Darts hey rex I have heard of them and even read about them they sure look like a fair lump of a truck to me
I seem to remember reading they were a KW Dart maybe
not though

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds