Skip to main content

V configuration v straight?

More
2 years 5 months ago #227881 by overlander
John- I had a look through my dated Detroit stuff and a brag brochure reckons a 6-71 weighs 2190lbs or 993.36kg and the 6v71 weighs in at 2010lbs or 911.72kg which is roughly 82kg difference. I'm assuming the data given is for both engines to be off-highway spec using the cast iron sump. And Lang, I don't reckon the mob building up 92 air compressor boost engines were linked to any American player- otherwise they would have had a better set up than the one they used just off Main North Road in Pooraka. Havelberg Diesel used to build them but the orders were coming in quicker than he could build them so they got their own shed. Fella by the first name of Justin was running the show but I don't reckon he followed the business interstate. Maybe I got the trading name wrong. I'll investigate. Pete

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227882 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic V configuration v straight?
Thanks Overlander. Could well have been an Australian mob with the same name. Big coincidence though as I found a Garrett-AiResearch GM engine/compressor of that general design you are talking about.

Things do happen like the Australian mob that registered the name Winnebago and make motorhomes branded as such to initially unsuspecting customers. I am sure they are good caravans but that sort of ambush marketing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander

More
2 years 5 months ago #227887 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic V configuration v straight?

Thanks Overlander. Could well have been an Australian mob with the same name. Big coincidence though as I found a Garrett-AiResearch GM engine/compressor of that general design you are talking about.

Things do happen like the Australian mob that registered the name Winnebago and make motorhomes branded as such to initially unsuspecting customers. I am sure they are good caravans but that sort of ambush marketing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Woolworths being a classic example, Lang.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227890 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic V configuration v straight?
You are right. The American Woolworth Five Cent Stores started in USA in 1879. When the blokes set up Woolworths in Australia in 1924 with "Nothing Over a Shilling" I am sure many Australians had heard of the American Five and Dime stores of the same name. Wonder if the South African Woolworths was also a knock-off?

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, V8Ian

More
2 years 5 months ago #227894 by overlander
Lang I checked with the Adelaide field service guru and he confirms that the mob converting the 92 series engines was/is called Air research- started by some fella named Ken and when he died his brother moved the concern to Wagga. As far as knock-offs are concerned I would'nt be surprised if the Sth African Woolworths would be one of them. In Kenya there is/was a Hard Rock Cafe in Nairobi and another in Mombassa- nothing to do with the septics but the same logo etc. Try and stop them. And Pick 'n' Pay [aka Grab & Run] Africa is full of them. Visitors get sucked in all the time. You could buy Pieneer car cassette players in Nigeria- I know this as by Nigeria the tape player in the back of the truck would be buggered from abuse and dust and dodgy tapes and the fans would think they are buying a Pioneer as the branding was the same. Ah....Africa, I miss it but but don't miss it if you get my drift.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
2 years 5 months ago #227896 by 600Dodge
Ive rebuilt a few boosters for drilling that are V6 Merc as motive power driving a V6 GM bottom end with booster style heads, very reliable and simple and can turn 250psi into 1100psi very quickly.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227897 by V8Ian

Lang I checked with the Adelaide field service guru and he confirms that the mob converting the 92 series engines was/is called Air research- started by some fella named Ken and when he died his brother moved the concern to Wagga. As far as knock-offs are concerned I would'nt be surprised if the Sth African Woolworths would be one of them. In Kenya there is/was a Hard Rock Cafe in Nairobi and another in Mombassa- nothing to do with the septics but the same logo etc. Try and stop them. And Pick 'n' Pay [aka Grab & Run] Africa is full of them. Visitors get sucked in all the time. You could buy Pieneer car cassette players in Nigeria- I know this as by Nigeria the tape player in the back of the truck would be buggered from abuse and dust and dodgy tapes and the fans would think they are buying a Pioneer as the branding was the same. Ah....Africa, I miss it but but don't miss it if you get my drift.
When Woolies first opened here, in 1924, they were more likely trying to cash in on the Pommie branch's name, an extension of the American company.
I'd imagine back then, apart from the indigenous population, half the people would have been British or Irish, with greater numbers having ethnic roots ar ties to those countries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, overlander

More
2 years 5 months ago #227898 by V8Ian

You are right. The American Woolworth Five Cent Stores started in USA in 1879. When the blokes set up Woolworths in Australia in 1924 with "Nothing Over a Shilling" I am sure many Australians had heard of the American Five and Dime stores of the same name. Wonder if the South African Woolworths was also a knock-off?

Lang
When Woolies first opened here, in 1924, they were more likely trying to cash in on the Pommie branch's name, an extension of the American company.
I'd imagine back then, apart from the indigenous population, half the people would have been British or Irish, with greater numbers having ethnic roots ar ties to those countries.

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds