Skip to main content

HD Truck

More
1 year 8 months ago #238358 by xspanrman
HD Truck was created by xspanrman
From an old T&BT Magazine. The cab looks like a Guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH, V8Ian, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238359 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic HD Truck
Scammell also used that cab.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238360 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic HD Truck
Guy made that cab for their Invincible mkll model, first introduced around 1958. Never seen one on a Scammell, not to say it didn't happen.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238362 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic HD Truck
Now thats my new thing I have learnt for today

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: xspanrman

More
1 year 8 months ago #238364 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic HD Truck

Guy made that cab for their Invincible mkll model, first introduced around 1958. Never seen one on a Scammell, not to say it didn't happen.
Actually Mammoth, Motor Panels supplied the cab to Guy. I'm starting to doubt my statement about Scammell, I could be confusing it with the Crusader.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #238367 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic HD Truck
.Many moons ago, i was with The Liquid Cartage Co in Camelia ,Sydney( owned by the Kilpatrick family )
At the time i believe they were agents for Guy Trucks and had a few of them with what looked like that cab.
Now, have a look at the insignia on the passengers door of that truck..............
From what i can see , ( ....not really too much .........)
That sure looks very similar to the flying barrel that adorned the rear of every Liquid Cartage tanker...........
I used to have a few pockets from our white overalls with the barrel insignia on , but have lost them........
Yeah i would be interested to get a clear shot of that door to see if thats the case.......
..................Billy..................
P/S ... Liquid Cartage were GM fans , so that could tie up too....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, xspanrman

More
1 year 8 months ago #238374 by mammoth
As referred to in another thread Guy did use cabs made by Motor Panels, however this one has the design attributed to Ron Thomas and there the relationship with MP seems to end. In 1960 Jaguar bought Guy out, hence the 'Big J' moniker of later models. At this time Guy were big on fibreglass, even making swimming pools.
Around this time (1960-61) Scammell did make a vaguely similar cab, identified by the drooping wrap round screens and not even height ones as in the Guy. Both Scammell (ie Crusader) and Foden went on to use a more modern design of composite cab supplied by Motor Panels. Same frame but with differences of screwed on outer panels.
Not much has been written about Guy but I can ref: 80 Years of Guy Motors; Illustrated History of Guy
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, V8Ian

More
1 year 8 months ago #238375 by mammoth
On further reading this doubting Thomas has to eat humble pie!
So, indeed the Big J, a new model introduced in 1964 and designed by Cliff Elliot who was head hunted from the Chrysler Dodge factory used a cab supplied by Motor panels. This cab has a one piece screen, forward entrance and the Dodge influence is apparent. With this information it may be quite possible that part of the Invincible cab was supplied by Motor Panels and hasn't been documented as such.

Getting away from this distraction and back to the original thread (sorry all)- who was HD how did they come to use a British cab?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, V8Ian

More
1 year 8 months ago #238380 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic HD Truck
Not too fussed about the cab and who made it, but I have never heard of HD trucks. Who made them, where and how many were made. Just curious.
Steve.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238383 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic HD Truck
Would that be a 471 in standard trim? 671 as optional extra?
Torque quoted is quite low.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xspanrman

Time to create page: 0.609 seconds