Skip to main content

Some dates and identifications please

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244545 by Normanby
I have been given there photos which show a group of vehicles in front of a Motor Garage in Collinsville, Qld. I know of the Morris Garage in Collinsville but would like any identifications of the vehicles and a possible date of the photos. I suspect it is possibly in the late 1930s. I realize these are not trucks except possibly one converted into a ute. The sepia coloured one has been made into a postcard but was not used and there is no information on the back of the photo. The other photo in not in as good condition but it is possible they may have been taken at the same time with a rearrangement of some vehicles and at a different viewing angle. Possibly more were taken to select the best for a postcard but I have only these two. Thanks for any comments and information.

Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by hayseed. Reason: Inserted Pics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244546 by 180wannabe
I think the buckboard on disc wheels is a 1929 Chev, and the tourer next to it maybe a 1930 Chev, as it appears to be on wire spoke wheels, and has a side mount spare.

I think the sedan is a 1930 Buick.

The tourer next to the fuel pump might be a 1929 Buick.

I agree with you that the photo was most likely taken in the late 1930's.

Is it odd that only one car has a front mounted number plate?

Brett.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by 180wannabe. Reason: add detail
The following user(s) said Thank You: Normanby, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 1 month ago #244549 by V8Ian
Until the mid~late '50s Queensland only issued one plate, they all started with Q, followed by six numbers. The first plates, issued in pairs, was the NAA series with white letters on a black background.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244552 by wouldyou
Front bumpers started appearing around 1928, those vehicles are mostly of a similar age. The windscreen posts on car 2 and 3 in top photo look Dodge. Wire spoke and disc wheels began replacing the wooden spokes at that time.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Normanby, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244553 by overnite
I think first photo DeSoto, 2nd from the right 29/30 Chev. BIDSTBC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Normanby, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #244557 by Normanby
I grew up in the 1950s and my father had a 1926 Chev with a ute tray back and as V8Ian says I can recall it had only one Q number plate on the back. Another odd thing I now recall is the tail light could only be switched on/off near the tail light. My father said that was a regulation in Queensland but whether this was a fact or just an urban legend I don't know. I learnt to drive in that vehicle long before I was old enough for a licence. My parents were in the cab and my sister and I sat in the tray many times on trips visiting relatives a few hours drive away. No seats or seatbelts just some cushions and maybe a rug or blanket. Thanks all so far for your comments and information.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Normanby. Reason: correct spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244558 by wouldyou
WA had that tail light regulation, I was told that it was so you could not switch it off and avoid being identified. Now even headlights as they were then should have been able to illuminate the number plate.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 1 month ago #244562 by asw120
Thinking top photo, left car Studebaker.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
1 year 1 month ago #244564 by allan
Common back in the day for photo developer shops to print onto a formatted postcard (ie pre-printed on reverse as a postcard) so as to use as such - no envelope needed.
Doesn't necessarily infer that they were designed for nor used for mass production and sale though.

More
1 year 1 month ago #244566 by JOHN.K.
In Queensland ,you had to make your own number plate to a spec issued by the MRD..........you were allowed to paint the plate ,or more popular was to use cast zinc or aluminium numbers mounted on a steel plate ....In some states ,the old numbers could be kept ,but in Qld they were all cancelled when the alpha -numeric black and white plates came in....My 1928 Harley was Q 32-998........that is a 1945 number ,when the bike was re registered after the war.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, asw120

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds