Skip to main content

Some dates and identifications please

More
1 year 1 month ago #244622 by Normanby
Thanks for all the replies and identifications suggested. I will print the original photos and mark on them all the vehicle identifications for the record. Given the dates were all all in the late 1920s my original suggestion of the photos dates of the late 1930s may not be accurate. However the onset of the Great Depression from 1929 resulted much less sales of new vehicles well into the 1930s which could be why post 1930 vehicles are not in the photos. Also before coal mining started in the area in 1919 there was no town of Collinsville although cattle and sheep grazing properties were around for many years and the railway did not get to Collinsville until the early 1920s, so the garage was not an old building when the photos were taken. Over the years the Morris Garage building was a garage /workshop with a number of proprietors until closing a few years ago. It has now been converted into a residence with a photo attached as it is today. Awning was removed many years ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, wouldyou, Inter-Action, Lang, PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #244758 by Gryphon
Hi,

for a bit of amusement I was looking for a black and white photo to try out a AI powered toy on the internet and I chose the original photo of this thread so I thought I would share the results. here. The colour and text has been added automatically by an AI powered process at https:// palette.fm

Garden Delights — A stock photo of driver, mill, market, trucks, and town. Traditional, cool dream, light and overcast wood. Ethnic, portra and garden.

Terry
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #244793 by fxs80
Believe the bike is a 1938 triumph twin 6s...
Wrong -- let's go with Rudge 1932 special, exhaust is a give away

1939 D2
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by fxs80. Reason: Wrong info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Normanby, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #244807 by Morris
Terry
The colouring looks realistic but I cannot make any sense of the text underneath.
I think it proves the saying "Artificial Intelligence will never beat human stupidity"

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #244809 by Lang
fzx80

A Rudge 1932 Special exhaust is a dead give away! Of course!

It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge pool that exists on the forum.

We have lots of of regulars who have tips clues and knowledge but how often do we see a bloke who is never sighted just come out of the blue with "If you turn the third spring backwards on the drivers side seat in your 1936 Rolls Royce ute conversion the gearstick will not rub on the fabric"

Unfortunately within 20 years most of this will be dead and gone. Millions of instant answers available but nobody left to tell you how to hold your mouth right or point out the obvious differences between a 1936 Triumph and 1932 Rudge exhaust pipe.

Just enjoy it while we can.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, Inter-Action, Normanby, overlander, PaulFH, V8Ian, wee-allis, oliver1950, theabundantlife

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #244815 by JOHN.K.
Its obviously a Rudge by the forks,and after 28 by the tank.....I put it a bit earlier by the fact that 1932 to 34 were the worst years of the depression,and I would think few bikes were sold .........but as someone else on this forum has commented ,the government were considering freezing peoples bank accounts, so many decided to spend the money before that happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.458 seconds