Skip to main content

Anyone know what this six cylinder sidevalve is out of? - Willys C131

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #246065 by BalkaRoo
CONGRADULATIONS BRETT, YOU WIN THE KEWPIDOLL !!!!

It was you and Southbound that first started talking about Willys involvement with International as being a worthy avenue to explore and I think you are both absolutely spot on ! I googled that link you suggested and no doubt about it, it is definitely "Willys" ! On one of the photos of the Willys C 131 available through that link apart from "looking" correct, you can clearly see the unusual front engine mount on the front of the engine and that is something I can't find on anything else anywhere, not even on Internationals that use the same (or similar) engines. It looks like Willys must have designed the engine and used it themselves, such as in this case, and then sold them to International minus the front mounting for use by International and then either International or Willys developed the engine further into the green diamond line that IHC used for years. It makes perfect sense and also explains why it would have a "Tillotson" carburettor, because Willys had been using Tillotson's for years in the Whippet and Willys Knight lines of cars and as they had a steady supplier they would just buy an appropriate carb off their reliable supplier.

The actual engine itself has been set up to drive something by someone involved, possibly a cocky or maybe a local garage/engineers most likely in the 50s. With the top cut out of the bell housing so a drive could be taken upwards, I recon the most likely use would be to drive a DC welding generator. My own dad did the same thing with a Hudson super six engine and a Lincoln BT200 welding generator in the early fifty's, and we continued to use it as the farm welder until the power came through in the 1980s.

Morris, the cylinder head is 1927 Chev truck! Danksy, who Andrew has given this Willys engine to has several 1920s Chev 4 trucks, one is in rough original order but runs like a clock. He actually displays it sometimes and took it to the recent Brookton motor show. Danksy is also an active member of the local vintage truck club, and now that we know what the Willys is, it will hopefully find a home somewhere.

A big "THANKYOU" to all of you who have contributed over the last week or so, it's taken a while to get there but we finally ended up with the answer.

A very appreciative,
Graham

This is a photo of the Willys C131 truck engine, stollen from the site Brett found.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by BalkaRoo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, eerfree, Lang, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, wee-allis and 3 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246141 by Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246142 by jon_d
That's a good lifting sling on the red one. Wouldn't want to be wearing thongs but......

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246148 by JOHN.K.
Looks to be the original T9 Warner crash box ......reverse trigger ........I was saving a new set of gears for these boxes for years ,but ended up selling the lot
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246154 by wee-allis

That's a good lifting sling on the red one. Wouldn't want to be wearing thongs but......
At least it's not Telstra rope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #246162 by JOHN.K.
Ya ,but......since Telstra stopped giving away rope,this country has gone seriously downhill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds