Skip to main content

Subbie wannabe

More
12 years 9 hours ago #82257 by ronhorse
Replied by ronhorse on topic Re: Subbie wannabe
That's shoes of course, not his children (as far as I know) Pete and I left the territory going South overland in his Dodge kingsway at the end of the 1950's, why we left at that time we have no idea, like salmon at sea, some genetic trigger set you off, never went back. Loved the Atke piece, this information is gold, where would you ever hear about these stories. :-* :-X :-/ :D :o :-/ :-/

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #82258 by Cams290
Replied by Cams290 on topic Re: Subbie wannabe
The stories and pics are just awesome

More
11 years 11 months ago #82259 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Subbie wannabe
Thanks Ron, I heard the Blitz story from Bob Thompson who was running it in the 60s. I think someone else must have started the business before that. Apparently they started out with a Blitz, then bought a damaged 6x6 GMC and fitted it with the Blitz cab. So if the vehicle pushing you was 6x6 it wasnt actually a Blitz.
The Atkinson had timber bolted to the bumper bar so the Blitz probably did as well.
That Vic Pass is one serious hill and still needs to be treated with great respect today.

More
11 years 10 months ago #82260 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Subbie wannabe
in regards to picture of federal 604M ronhorse posted 11 5 I wonder if it is the one I have bought mine from alice springs 20 years ago apparently it was part payment for some money owing came from katherine???mine still has the original diffs timken 55000lb clark 8 speed I put a 6 71 still have original hb600f cummins for it and last time I drove it it still went

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 10 months ago #82261 by JG
Replied by JG on topic Re: Subbie wannabe
well as you can see im brand new on here ,but am completely addicted to the pictures and stories.....tripped over the sight by accident but hope to spend plenty of time going through it all. grew up around all these old trucks ,having a dad and 2 uncles heavily involved in the game,didnt follow in there footsteps,but went to sea instead. ronhorse in one of your stories you mentioned canberra wash sand,this brought back memories of a place called croudace concrete in fyshwyk and then mitchell...my dad used to cart there blue metal for them, i was only a kid but at that time couldnt get enough...like someone said elsewhere on here its in your genes.

Time to create page: 0.429 seconds