Skip to main content

names of hills bridges etc on the old hume.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100088 by gus
Any of you blokes remember the names on the hume such as the cullerens, turkey town, steps & stairs, carbon black,
biscuit bridge, conroys, three legs o man, sydney harbour bridge, aeroplane, pretty sally, beveridge bunker hill. there is lots more that that you blokes will remember from back in the mist of time.
gus.

gus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100089 by Chocs
Good thread there Gus!

Top bridge, Hot dog hill, Poplar Straight, Governors, Skyline, Tuckerbox, 17 miler, Mad mile, Wang straight

chocs 8-)

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #100090 by
The Manse hill..
Southbound outta Seymour over the old Goulburn River bridge.
Over the bridge , left turn ( the bridge came to a T intersection ) and up the Manse Hill before running down towards Tallarook.
Halfway between Seymour and Tallarook was a corner known as " Customline Corner" which apparently was the scene of a police car rollover in the late 50s...
The highway outta Seymour deviated in 1967 to the current bridge before the freeway was built...
The old bridge is still there but only open to pedestrian traffic..
That old bridge was home to many a prang due to the steep runoff from the Manse onto a sudden right hand turn over it.
Plenty sailed through straight ahead onto the Northwood Road after realising they weren't gunna make the turn...
Heady stuff... :-/

More
11 years 4 months ago #100091 by hardnfast
Silvias Gap south of Gundagai. Hole in the wall in Picton. Jugiong Hill, Razorback north of Picton.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100092 by kenny-mopar

More
11 years 4 months ago #100093 by hardnfast
Catherine Hill and Bendooley. The BP Spot service station. Fish River.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100094 by Hi Beam
Gunning Hill
Where Lenny Brammich was marched down the hill at gunpoint after refusing to stop halfway up so the constable could inspect his log book. I believe that the police motorbike that he left by the roadside suffered some damage as a result of being unattended.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100095 by olddon
does anyone remember Olivers Pinch ? I think it was somewhere Bowning or Bookham.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100096 by greg wright
Log book hill on north side of old weighbridge Marulan , Billy hughes corner , north sidew of Albury

More
11 years 4 months ago #100097 by prodrive
The "Mad Mile" is still there, where the roadhouse is, northbound up past the Tallarook Turnoff, if I remember correctly? Thats what I used to call it, anyway. That was another "mexican overdrive" hill for my truck..(one of the many "mexican overdrive hills, actually)
We used to only run rag tyres all round on my Atkinson carcarrier, one day we bought some secondhand "radials" (hoo wee! we thought that was flash..) which we put on the steer, even though they weren't matching -as you do eh?
First trip with those, 8 cars loaded, the ole Gardner was humming away as we flew down the hill in neutral, she picked up her skirts going faster and faster, when "BANG" the left front steer blew out. She gave a massive lurch to the left, (so did my heart) With the car up on the roof rack i was sure I was going over, but surprisingly I managed to get her to roll to a stop, finally, with my heart pounding...
A few smokes later to calm down and I got stuck into changing it, from then on it was a rag tyre on the left steer and the radial stayed on the right steer!
Surprisingly, the old girl steered quite well as we trundled on our slow old way to Brissy...
So that's why I remember the mad mile! :) :)
Cheers
Richard

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds