Skip to main content

names of hills bridges etc on the old hume.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #100098 by hayseed
For all the Old Hume runners...........

Hot off the press, Taken this afternoon ;)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by hayseed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100099 by DaveG
What about the sh/t pit servo just north of Yass, Three legs of man Sth of Mittagong.Champaign Corner &Turntable in the Cullarans. Also Farm house corner.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100100 by kenny-mopar
I dont remember the name of all the hills on the hume,but the old leyland i steered back then did! im heading down to melb in a couple of weeks..takes me just under the 12 hours actual driving time ...For the 1050km trip...how times have changed !

More
11 years 4 months ago #100101 by HARDSHAR
What about the s bend over the rail line at Yanderra, seen a few blokes come to grief there.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100102 by Roderick Smith
One is still signed today. IIRC it is Green's Hill, and now I can't remember if it is southbound from Broadford (part of the climb to the great divide summit south of Kilmore), or southbound from Avenel (with a descent to Goulburn River to follow).

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
11 years 4 months ago #100103 by olddon
Hi Roderick. I think that the hill you mentioned was called Green's Pinch. I remember it well,as they used to have a long heap of blue metal alongside the old road,used for road repairs.The CRB were real good at getting their heaps exactly square,and some went for hundreds of yards. I was going South one night,slightly heavy with a load of cake from Pt Kembla and a bloke gave me the nod that they were weighing at Kilmore bridge,so I backed up against the end of the gravel heap and dropped about three ton of coke at the end of the heap(tipper) Next time I went past,I noticed that they had put more gravel there and my heap of coke was in the middle! I bet they wondered where the hell the coke came from ! It sat there for about two years .

More
11 years 4 months ago #100104 by hayseed
Here's another one, for the Hume runners ;)

Photo courtesy of shane Landsdown (& facebooK)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #100105 by Roderick Smith
Thanks for the information on Greens Pinch.
I had to be careful not to confuse it with (Cottons Pinch?), between Yea and Bonnie Doon, Goulburn Valley Hwy.

Nobody on this group will have to be reminded that Gundagai is the location of the photo preceding.
Back in the days, paddlesteamers got up the Murrumbidgee to Wagga Wagga frequently, and to Gundagai occasionally. I was sent a photo of the 2011 floods: the water was lapping both bridges, but they weren't submerged. The railway one has been disused for many years, but I would have to search for a date.

I always liked the name 'First and Last Hotel', Sydney Rd, Coburg: very apt back in the days. In many ways, Kalkallo Hotel serves the role today: on the section between the Craigieburn bypass, and the rest of the freeway and highway bypasses. Is the next pub Holbrook? Liverpool? IIRC Tarcutta pub is on a service road beside the current freeway.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100106 by Chocs
Holbrook would be right Rodders..
Fair drive between drinks now.

Good thing we have fridges..

I think the bypass for Holbrook is March / April..

chocs 8-)

11 years 4 months ago #100107 by
Dad has added just a couple more

The only extras I can think off is the axle breaker and the big dipper at Bookham and there is two steps and stairs. One is at Bookham and one at Mittagong.

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.838 seconds