Skip to main content

names of hills bridges etc on the old hume.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100108 by newto
and dont forget paddys river,north of marulan.

great place for V8 cummins fuel pumps to seize the governor plunger because of overspeed.

newto

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 4 months ago #100109 by
...did anyone mention cutaway?....been up to Mittagong a couple of times lately.....

More
11 years 4 months ago #100110 by jimbo51
Tenerife between Avenal & Longwood, Greyhound corner near Chiltern, Pioneer church northbound past the Gerogery turnoff, Woomargama, the Tarcutta Rough, Big & Little Wagga Hill, Snowball Creek between Tumblong and Gundagi (one of Chapmans horse floats had an incident there), Hospital hill north bound out of Gundagi, Mondoonens, Boxers Creek northbound after Governors Hill at Goulbourn and on the new road Big Hill just past the Kilmore turnoff followed by the chicken tree

More
11 years 4 months ago #100111 by ute253
Hey jimbo51, did you know there is a chicken tree appreciation society on facebook? It has some fans out there (weirdos?)

It maybe not be landmark nicknames but the actual names, don't forget Tubbs Hill and Maygars Hill.

There is a story behind the naming of this hills with I believe stems from Gallipoli. I think it goes that they were Victoria Cross recipients who their awards at Lone Pine or the Nek.
I think it was 3 on the same day and all had a relationship with Euroa somehow. I'm sure someone out there will know the full story.

David

Diamond T P3320 x 2&&Studebaker US6 6x6&&HQ GTS Coupe&&HQ ute&&HG ut

More
11 years 4 months ago #100112 by Roy O
What was the name of hill where the young ladies had their caravan ?

More
11 years 4 months ago #100113 by jimbo51
Roy O,

You thinking of Hot Dog Hill, top of the climb southbound out of Gunning?

More
11 years 4 months ago #100114 by overnite
The three "plonk" bridges. Starting at Picton, they were the McWilliams, Orlando and Penfolds. Not necessarily in that order.

More
11 years 4 months ago #100115 by ute253
Just some info in relation to the two hills,Tubbs and Maygars, I mention in the post about about Hume Hwy names and landmarks and another i forgot about, Burtons Bridge, Euroa.

Tubbs and Burton were from the Euroa area and won their VC's for action on the same day and for the same action. Incredible to think that this small area produced such gallant individuals. I suppose its no different to alot of places that sent men to the great war never to return but i find it remarkable that Tubbs, Burton and a third man William Dunstan were all awarded VC's for action on the same day and for the same battle.
History worth knowing about.

Tubbs Hill
Tubb VC Memorial Plaque
Address: Hume Highway, Tubbs Hill, south-west of Euroa, Euroa, 3666
State: VIC
Area: AUS

Memorial plaque at Tubbs Hill dedicated to F. H. Tubb, winner of the Victoria Cross during World War One.

Frederick Harold Tubb (1881-1917), soldier and grazier, was born on 28 November 1881 at Longwood, Victoria, fifth child of Harry Tubb, teacher, and his wife Emma Eliza, n

More
11 years 4 months ago #100116 by ute253
Just some info in relation to the two hills,Tubbs and Maygars, I mention in the post about about Hume Hwy names and landmarks and another i forgot about, Burtons Bridge, Euroa.

Leslie Cecil Maygar (1868-1917), soldier and grazier, was born on 27 May 1868 at Dean station, Kilmore, Victoria, seventh child of Edwin Willis Maygar, grazier, and his wife Helen, n

More
11 years 4 months ago #100117 by prodrive
Thanks Ute, makes you wonder doesn't it...
Really appreciate you posting that info.
cheers
Richard

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds