Skip to main content

3408 Cat engines

More
11 years 1 month ago #111110 by blueline
3408 Cat engines was created by blueline
Hello fellow forumites,

just wondering if anyone can give me any info on, or stories involving 3408 Cat engines. I am going to try to write up something on them, but I think this place would be the best place to start for info.

Thanks for your help,
Ian

come have a look at my blog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111111 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
Ahh, have I got this correct, but are you going to pick everybody else's brains, so then you go write a story and get all the accolades, have I got this correct ? :-?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #111112 by blueline
Replied by blueline on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
I was only asking because I know that hcvc can be a fountain of knowledge that you won't find on Wikipedia and other sites with basic technical information.

Yeah, I would in part be doing this for myself, everything anyone does is in part for themselves. However, in doing so, I am also trying to promote the historic trucking movement. Plus I would credit the forum with the info, and include a link to here. Go read my piece I posted on here about the Clarendon show and then tell me that I am only in this for myself.

It

come have a look at my blog
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by blueline.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #111113 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
I haven't had any practical experience with Cat 3408s, but from what I've read they were big, heavy, powerful engines that certainly had their fair share of problems when fitted in trucks. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will add to this. The first Caterpillar automotive V8-the four camshaft, pre combustion chamber, turbo/aftercooled 1676 was a bit of a disaster I think. The smaller 1100 series-1140/1145/1150/1160 and the later 3208 had some issues too, I think. The early 3408s were available in PC-pre combustion chamber indirect injection and DI-direct injection versions-with ratings of 425/450 horsepower or so. In Australia 3408s were offered in Kenworths, fibreglass cab Atkinsons, and Mack Superliners-model R758, any other highway trucks?
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111114 by busntruck
Replied by busntruck on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
One of my previous employeers had a 3408 powered Gardner Denver (1600 cfm) air compressor, it made some noise when the compressor was loaded up ready for action. :) 8-)
It used approx 100 litres of diesel an hour to run.

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

11 years 1 month ago #111115 by
Replied by on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
Blueline

Great read, keep up the good work and im sure the info to help you help us promote our game will come.

Trevor

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #111116 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
Sorry Ian, i know very little about Cats.
There is a fella down this way that ran one in a cabover for many years, not sure how far his knowledge or library extends.
I will ask the question next time i see him.

As long as someone is taking the time to 'get some of this down', it has to be a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing your progress

chocs 8-)

11 years 1 month ago #111117 by
Replied by on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines

One of my previous employeers had a 3408 powered Gardner Denver (1600 cfm) air compressor, it made some noise when the compressor was loaded up ready for action. :) 8-)
It used approx 100 litres of diesel an hour to run.

100 litres of diesel per hour?????? WOW. Cheers James.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111118 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
Echoing what Slospeed said. A great read, and exceptionally well-written. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] You can almost picture being there with those words. ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 1 month ago #111119 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
Ian,

Go searching on the Facebook group "Fast truckin' in Australia in the 80's & early 90's" for "Kerswell". You'll find lot's about a certain 3408 powered Kenworth but be warned, 99% of it is fiction.......lol

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds