Skip to main content

3408 Cat engines

More
11 years 1 month ago #111130 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines

Ahh, have I got this correct, but are you going to pick everybody else's brains, so then you go write a story and get all the accolades, have I got this correct ? :-?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Yeah I reckon it works good like that ...... :P :P :P ..... Worked for me with my TNT project ;D ;D ;D ;D

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #111131 by clarkie383
Replied by clarkie383 on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines

Ian,

Go searching on the Facebook group "Fast truckin' in Australia in the 80's & early 90's" for "Kerswell". You'll find lot's about a certain 3408 powered Kenworth but be warned, 99% of it is fiction.......lol

I heard about the Kerwell KW back in the 80s.
Was talking to a former driver of Kerswell's KW on Friday.
Yes he confirmed it as being a 3408 with about 850-900 HP.
13spd double overdrive with 3.1 diffs.
Also said it had a good top speed.

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #111132 by
Replied by on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
...Mick Mulcahy from Diggers Rest in Victoria operated a black and silver 3408 KW Aerodyne cabover for years....wonder where that thing is now?.....

More
11 years 1 month ago #111133 by HEOFTHEHUM
Replied by HEOFTHEHUM on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
Circa 1982, got a lift down to Melbourne from Sydney, my truck was in Melbourne being fixed, and Id gone home to Sydney, hitched a lift down with a mate of a mate, 3800 Atkinson,3408, 18 speed spicer, got to Yass and asked me if id like a steer, drove on to Melbourne, told me not to change down when I hit a hill just put my foot down.
Ive had a love affair with 3408s since then, scard me for life.
Ag kits in the states has redone the cranks 3.5k to 5.5k depending on the model better than 35k from cat.
My mate in California is building a 1300hp one, his current one is close to a 1000hp.
V8 Macks and Scanias are great but, if your going to tow start the Queen Mary youd use a V8 Cat. :D

More
11 years 1 month ago #111134 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: 3408 Cat engines
Here's something for the music lovers out there ...... on cassette!

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds