CRAWLIN' the HUME 2016

More
8 years 1 month ago #169386 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic CRAWLIN' the HUME 2016
Great weekend starting Friday
Buco makes good tomato sauce and the onions for the BBq
Crackers well what he Saturday morning he will have to explain that
Ronnie kicking in for the breakfast run
The God daughter Casey reckoned it was great even sleeping in a swag under the trailer
The boys that organized the event full credit to those and all the helpers
Coffee Sunday not an issue when you have the shiek in town
Looking forward to the next event
Some won't know some of the names

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #169390 by geoffb
Noticed that Swishy with cabin cargo :S :S :S :S :S

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 4 weeks ago #169393 by Roderick Smith
In 2014, I was roadside at Craigieburn, and photographed much of the fleet before boarding a special train being run for railway enthusiasts. This year, I was honoured to ride in a Beamish Kenworth, with Swishy at the wheel.
Some railway mates took my car north, and we continued to the Riverina for some train chasing. Lots of aspects impressed. Foremost, the amount of organisation put in by the willing volunteers: the whole structure of the run (the route and the lunch stop), the showbag of goodies, the route guide. The variety of the trucks was evident as I arrived at 7.10 and walked forwards to find my host, likewise the sense of friendship and excitement (which I have experienced at car, boat and aircraft rallies; train ones have a different style: friendly aboard, but usually only one train, sometimes two, rarely three, and four only ever once). I gather that the were about 220 vehicles, ranging from old to 25 yo, with many different sizes and styles, and most gleaming and polished (but those in as-retired state still looked good). The was only one Flxible Clipper this year. Many trucks were set up as mobile homes: maintaining the traditional appearance, but very practical for rallying. I saw only one prewar truck this year, but there was another which hadn't arrived when my group left Winton. NSW had a strong contingent this year, adding variety. What surprised me was the number of roadside onlookers. I hadn't seen any mention in the Herald Sun coming-events section. Most picked a vantage point, and stayed for the whole convoy to pass. There were people in front of their house, set up with chairs and eskies. Others had driven out in 1930s-60 cars, then parked roadside. The big contingent was at the top of Pretty Sally (but I mucked up my photo of the lineup). My railway mates were just as enthused, and went for four vantage points, with just part of the fleet at each; they complimented the detailed route instructions. Many trucks stopped for breakfast; we went straight through, were the first trailer in (and about the fourth truck, those ahead of us had left at 7). That gave me the roadside benefits too. As we crossed the divide, the clouds had cleared to provide a typical north-east day. I had an early lunch, and photographed perhaps half of the arrivals, with a good commentary from an enthusiast from NSW standing beside me. The whole activity was hectic, so I didn't get to meet many of the faces to match with forum names. There was also motorbike training/practice which I didn't get to observe. I didn't try to photograph every vehicle, and most which I did cover have appeared in forum and facebook selections. I am including just two:
Swishy's Kenworth, as a thankyou.
Part of the fleet parked for lunch, showing the variety, and the Ford Model S (older than a Model T).
What must be a hearse, is in the hearse thread: www.hcvc.com.au/forum/general/5400-hearses?start=90#169456 .
Our 2.5 railway days also went well, and I scored photos of many pubs for another of my hobbies. As we staked out for one train, one of the NSW vehicles passed, heading home.
Roderick

Last edit: 8 years 4 weeks ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: adding a link to the hearse photo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scratcha

More
8 years 1 month ago #169394 by mackme
Replied by mackme on topic CRAWLIN' the HUME 2016
I can only echo what others have said great organisation and a great weekend.
It was good to catch up with old acquaintances meet some new ones and participate in an event that is alive and moving. Does anyone know if anybody had any breakdowns? Look forward to the next one once again thanks.

More
8 years 1 month ago #169395 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic CRAWLIN' the HUME 2016
I had a great weekend. The mechanical gremlins seem to have been solved. I have crested the current Pretty Sally many times in the old truck and have usually either changed or thinking about changing either diff or gear as I crawled over at 55-60 kmh. This time I crested at 75kmh and had the people at the top scrambling for their cameras as I think I was a bit faster than they expected! :blink:

I averaged around 11.2mpg for the trip and the best fuel economy came when I had my foot into it on the hills where it approached 11.8mpg.

I was sorry to have missed the dinner but I hadn't booked as I am still trying to find work. Being in a tourist area a lot of work is on the weekends so I kept it free in case I had to head straight for home.

On Sunday the road to the racecourse was blocked for roadworks and when I started to get out of the truck to ask for directions there were shouts of 'You can't leave that there", They didn't know of any detours to the racecourse as they told me the road was shut past there. I informed them there were a couple of hundred trucks in the racecourse that would be heading home shortly and they claimed that there was no entry nor exit to the racecourse until Monday. So I laughed them off and headed for home as they were no help at all. From what I saw plenty of trucks must have got out of the racecourse.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 4 weeks ago #169450 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic CRAWLIN' the HUME 2016
Rove n report from Mr Mik Black @ 1:16

[img

Clikity ................................................. ClikClikClik

thanx for the Video Adrian Lemcke

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #169452 by mackme
Thank goodness Ted I didn't think you made it back after the weekend.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 4 weeks ago #169455 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic CRAWLIN' the HUME 2016
MackMe
Gudday M8

Yes ........ eye did survive the venture orff the Melway

bin bizzy fight n n argue n wiff pewter
On the run CtH i used a ol dash cam
n pewter aint co op er 8 n
n me abilty 2 produce a U Bute movie aint happ n n @ the mo

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #169459 by mackme
i thought it was unusual you hadn't posted anything.
I always look forward to your videos and photos hope you get it sorted cheers Andrew

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #169468 by geoffb
Rumour has it Swishy is starting out in a new sport fencing I believe :woohoo: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds