Skip to main content

DOING A QUICK BRAKE ADJUSTMENT BY THE DRIVER !!!!!

More
10 years 8 months ago #125877 by Mrsmackpaul

Appreciate all the resopnces, so keep the answers coming, BUT, still waiting for a legal definition saying it aint allowed.

I do know about any business that does work on a truck, has to have the appropriate licence to do the work, and the workers must be qualified, but that's a business, not the driver doing the work.

So, c'mon, I'm still waiting for this "legalese gooblygook" saying I'm not allowed to touch them.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

I'm sure that it is just like Beaver says business must be licensed and mechanics must be certified however the license is for the office of fair trading and to register vehicals not for the workmanship if the boss says its worker is ok to do the job thats good enough the business owns the license for roadworthys not the mechanic

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125878 by geoffb
Slightly of topic but still in the same paddock
A associate of mine does servicing on a large Govt fleet and has been asked to provide a list of formal qualifications that the staff have
As for the vehicle inspector have had the discussion about what is correct (Tyre tread depth indicators) only to be told thats on the deficit notice your choice how you deal with it cheaper just to put a tyre on

More
10 years 8 months ago #125879 by BK
About 2000 my boss got me to bring one of the tippers into the shed to check it over for the annual machinery inspection, checked the tyres and lights, grabbed the creeper, a ring spanner and a hammer and slid under to adjust the brakes. The boss shows up and makes me jack each wheel up, he then spins it and when he hears the shoe touching the drum...."that's it".
A dismal failure on the shaker, I asked the inspector what's the best way (explaining how it was done) ;D he said, wind 'em up tight and back off 1/2 a turn (I'd been doing them that way for years), so I did them then and there and the trailer passed.
From that I gather there is/was no problem with the Qld Machinery Dept about drivers adjusting brakes.

Trust me

More
10 years 8 months ago #125880 by bigcam
I've never been asked for qualifications by a Queensland Transport Inspector, and I've never heard of anyone having to have any qualification to adjust brakes other than to be competent, regardless of qualifications. You could easily have a qualification and not be competent or be competent but not have a qualification. Some of my best tradesmen have no formal qualifications and run rings around those that do.

The only trade I know of that qualifications are necessary is Electricians.

I think you'll find that there probably isn't a legal requirement per say, but if the vehicle is involved in an accident there is high likely hood it will be inspected by the Transport Department and if there are ANY mechanical defects it will most certainly not look good in court. Also you may find that if you do any work on a vehicle which causes an accident or worse you may be charged with some serious offences, regardless off your qualifications or lack there off.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125881 by Debo

Appreciate all the resopnces, so keep the answers coming, BUT, still waiting for a legal definition saying it aint allowed.

I do know about any business that does work on a truck, has to have the appropriate licence to do the work, and the workers must be qualified, but that's a business, not the driver doing the work.

So, c'mon, I'm still waiting for this "legalese gooblygook" saying I'm not allowed to touch them.

Apologies for raising the blood pressure Greenie.
I don't have the legal evidence :-[
I also didn't say that that it is illegal to adjust brakes, I said it was illegal to work on them and I would much rather say that to everyone on here than say "yeah just do this and it'll be fine" when talking about brakes (I'm not accusing anyone of doing so).
I wonder how many people have been caught out adjusting brakes that have slack adjusters with left and right hand threads on opposite sides and unknowingly adjusted one up and one off.
This is a great place this forum but I'd much rather give advice that helps keep people out of trouble rather than into it.
I would be happy to know for sure what the story is regarding this either way.
Refer the western star post for more of my experience's/thoughts.
Have a good one Debo :)

• Topic Author
10 years 8 months ago #125882 by
very interesting subjets raised my son works a shaker machine for a mob in ballarat doing vic roads works he told me they get very young vic roads inspecters out with them on the jobs he has to tell them what is wrong with the trucks says they dont have a clue about trucks but have special training providede by vic roads only in a class room allso said some of the older inspectors never been near or underneath a truck :o :o :o

More
10 years 8 months ago #125883 by indianman
G'day Just a little off to the side I know a fella that got pulled into a checkpoint one night and they went over his truck young copper gets in and stands on the stopper pedal and says " Your off the road brakes are spongy!!" and proceeds to put party invite on windscreen. Call to the boss and he not happy chappy "Leave it with me" was the reply, half hour later chief man appears with all this bling on his shoulders and goes off to talk to assembled minions and next minute very red faced aforementioned young copper comes over and says "take sticker off and go" to which was replied "sorry that is illegal for me to remove".
Sticker was removed by said officer and was told in no uncertain terms that if there was so much as a light out on the truck and he see's it then the driver would be walking.

As to the legalities of doing your own brake adj I have not heard it illegal in the 27+ years I have been a heavy mechanic BUT if it all went pear shaped and you ended up in court then it might be a different story.

Jon

More
10 years 8 months ago #125884 by greenie
I can see that nobody has yet been able to come up with any legislation, that say's your NOT ALLOWED to tickle up the brakes when required, or even work on them.

Some of the answers were informing, some not so informing, but, please keep the answers coming.

I would like to know of ANY 'legislation' regarding this.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125885 by Bugly

I would like to know of ANY 'legislation' regarding this.

What about Murphy's Law?? ;)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 8 months ago #125886 by Mrsmackpaul
greenie I think you will find if it all goes pear shaped one day and you were to end up in court its up to the prosicution ? to prove that you did not no how to adjust brakes and you made them unsafe and from my experance it is very easy to prove some pen pusher wrong in because they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that what you did or did not do caused the problem but then again Im no legal eagle so wouldnt listen to me :)
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds