Skip to main content

DOING A QUICK BRAKE ADJUSTMENT BY THE DRIVER !!!!!

More
10 years 8 months ago #125887 by bigcam
Paul, Greenie just wants to know if there is any specific legislation saying you can't touch the brakes unless qualified. I'm interested, I don't know of any, in Queensland at least. I think I know the man who will know, but it will be a few days before I'll see him.

Doesn't matter what you are doing, you could build a dodgy back deck on your house for example, if it injures someone you'll more than likely end up in court.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125888 by oldfulla
Greenie

After giving your question some thought, and haveing spent many years in the 'fixing' business - I think i can answer your question.

There is NO law that stops you adjusting your own brakes.

There is NO law to stop anyone fixing their own vehicle, or fixing someone elses. Whether it be for free or for a fee.

One can start a mechanical repair business without any skills or certification in the trade. And could well have a workshop without any tooling what so ever. While you probably wouldnt survive for long - the fact is - there is NO law preventing one doing so.

There may be loacl Govt regs as to where you set up your business, or working from home - but that has nothing to do with skills, training, or qualifications. The locl govt may have rules that are designed to stop one doing something that may effect the enviorment (like droping the engine oil down the gutter and into the drainage system) - but cant stop you droping the oil while obeying their regs.

One can operate a mechanical repair business - with NO requirement to employ trade qualified workers.

Yes - electricans are licienced - however that does not prohibit an unskilled person doing their own electrical repairs - or doing so for someone else. The licence - like builders etc - are firstly money makers for the govt and 2ndly to offer an unwary customer some protection from damage - AFTER THE EVENT.

i short - the 'system' relies on their fair trading laws and courts to protect the innocent - ONLY AFTER THE EVENT.

So - adjust your brakes until your hearts content - but be aware - should your actions be deemed as the cause of an accident - then best of Brittish luck. The AFTER THE EVENT PROTECTION will catch up with you then - and only then.

And then the fight started - so to speak.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 8 months ago #125889 by bigcam
Oldfulla, unlike brakes, there is defiantly a law stating it is illegal to do anything with mains electricity unless you are licensed, regardless of anything going wrong.

More
10 years 8 months ago #125890 by Bugly

Oldfulla, unlike brakes, there is defiantly a law stating it is illegal to do anything with mains electricity unless you are licensed, regardless of anything going wrong.

... and mains-fed plumbing. Your own tank supply is OK.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 8 months ago #125891 by indianman

If it was so illegal (which I know it is) then why can you walk into any hardware and see rows of elec and plumbing fittings??

Jon

More
10 years 8 months ago #125892 by stevejr
I remember once lined up for a machinery the guy in front of me was under his trailer with his trusty 9/16 doing a quick adjustment in the driveway. Made me wonder what they were like on the way over. So I figure if you can do it in the transport department's own yard then it must be ok
Steve

Mack R600 1975&&Dodge D5N 400&&Fe 35 1958&&Tea 20 1951 &&Tea 20 1952

More
10 years 8 months ago #125893 by Bugly

If it was so illegal (which I know it is) then why can you walk into any hardware and see rows of elec and plumbing fittings??

Jon

Because its not illegal to sell the bits, only fit them. You can buy the stuff from the hardware and get the sparky or plumber from down the road to fit them out. Taps and tap washers would fall into the category of maintenance, which may fly under the radar of plumbing installation. Fixed electrical installations require a registered sparky to work on it, but portable electric equipment requires only a 'competent person'.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 8 months ago #125894 by Mrsmackpaul
as an electrician I no your wrong your wrong there Bugly it all depends on the voltage under a certain voltage ie extra low voltage anyones allowed to work on it over over that only electricians ie low voltage electricians over ie high voltage on special high voltage electricians
extra low voltage under 50 volts AC or 120 DC
low voltage 50 - 1000 volts AC or 120 - 1500 volts DC
high voltage 1000 volts or above AC or 1500 volts and above DC
these voltages are regardless of weather it is on a lead generator or anything else and exclude telephones and data cables and to work unlicensed on low voltage and above in all states of Australia is a jailable offence and people do go to jail every year in Australia for performing unsafe and or illegal electrical work so just be careful there is a lot to be lost by most of us by doing the wrong thing with electricity and truck brakes and just about any other thing if it all goes pear shaped
Paul :)

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 8 months ago #125895 by greenie
Cam, did you get a chance to have a chat, re this lot, with your contact ?

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
10 years 8 months ago #125896 by bigcam
Been down south Greenie, you know us Jet Setters.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds