Skip to main content

Log Books

More
14 years 9 months ago #11938 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Log Books
Swishy, I can recall the jog around the truck to get the blood flowing again, got very fit some trips.

Yes and no, we do log books so they know who was driving and
we also have fatigue sheets of a sort after we have one of those nasty moments when some tool won't take no (or yes) for answer.

but we also wear superman suits so we can do anything, anywhere, with absolutly no resouces and for as long as it takes......... ;)

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #11939 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Log Books
I have never actually fallen asleep at the wheel but remember looking in the mirrors to see what trailer I had, then pulling over to check the paperwork to see where I was meant to be going. By this stage I was 50ks past it.

More
14 years 9 months ago #11940 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Log Books
This has been a hot topic amongst some of the guys I know and it has lead me to do some investigating in the past. We have a Liason Officer in the NSW RTA who I deal with and he is actually a great bloke. When I last discussed this with him he told me that, due to inconsistencys in the 'National' law, there was a mediator working at changing and nationalising the current log book (work diary) laws. He also said that it would be the right time to approach the RTA and try and have the requirement for club plated vehicles overturned, the same as recreational vehicles don't have to run by it (why can you get away with it in a Denning converted to a motorhome??)

I agree with Swishy, as much as it is a pain in the rectum we have to do it regardless of rego type as it is all about fatigue. The irony is, as much as driving , say, an automatic air cushioned Volvo double would reduce fatigue a fair bit, I think I would be more awake running the Commer to Melbourne after hearing the knocker screaming its head off for 12 hours ;D

I do have a question that is hard to answer - people refer to my Commer as a 7 tonner and the compliance plate reads CD762 (C model, Diesel, 7 ton, 162" wheelbase) however, I have looked at it all along as a standard truck which is 6 ton steer and 9 ton on the drive, total 15 ton. It only tares 4.5 ton.............. what would its GVM be as a truck with 9.00x20 tyres??? And how do I prove it to the authority's?

I for one am happy to do less than 12 hours driving it on a run yet my real issue is having to pull over a weighbridge and be question (and fined) on why the 2 stroke leaks oil :-[( I normally respond by telling them it was a factory option ::)

And Swishy, when they start making it mandatory for any car driver to have to upgrade his/her licence to pull a trailer (especially a horse float >:() they might begin to bring in car fatigue laws, probably a good idea when cars are like a lounge room inside............don't know about you but I fall asleep on the lounge every night :o

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 9 months ago #11941 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Log Books
I dont want to drive more than 12 hours and the only time I would was when things went pear shaped ( not infrequently). If you are allowed 12 hours then companies will schedule a run that takes 11 hours and 50 minutes in theory. 18 hours in reality
That trip home in the car after work was the worst time trying to stay awake but "officially" this is part of your 10 hour rest break. As you say it is easier to stay awake driving an old truck than a modern car.
I also found local work, particularly in summer, more tiring than running up the highway. Night shift in summer time is bad news, the only time it is cool enough to sleep is at 2am when you are out on the road. In the EU now they have, or are introducing rules where an hour of night shift counts as 1.5 hours for fatigue purposes. ie 8 hours of night shift = 12 hours of day shift. I reckon they are right but if it comes in here will spell the end of overnighting between Melb / Sydney.
Your Commer would be a 7 tonner. GVM of about 12 on 9.00 tyres.

More
14 years 9 months ago #11942 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Log Books
When the aluminium smelter here was on 8 hour shifts seven day roster ,Alot of the workers used to work double shifts then still have to front for their normal shift 8 hours later and they would do it a couple of shifts aweek .Now they are on 12 hours shifts 2 days on a day off then do 2 night shifts and have 4days off .Must do wonders for the body clock. The pot lines are a kilometer long and these guys are suppose to be on site half an hour before shift Starts for take over procudures,plus half an hour travelling each way for some of them .Makes it a big 12 hour day or night. ian.

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds