Skip to main content

Sharpies, Bodgies, Mods and others

More
1 year 8 months ago #237928 by Pierre
Morris, I doubled checked with my old pommy mate & I must now correct my earlier post for his sake too.
He was definitely a MOD, with sheep skin seat covers & foxtails on his Vespa.
I got the terminology wrong, but he agrees there were Sharpies in Adelaide in dress code mentioned above by cobbadog.

Pierre

Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #237930 by V8Ian
Bodgies and Widgies were definitely a thing, in the mid~late sixties, to be admired by the more rebellious boys at my Queensland primary school.
The coolest, most bellicose, recalcitrant in grade seven, wore a black leather jacket and rode a 21" bike with handlebars that placed his hands at eye level, as he rode.
Gawd, I coveted and thought those handlebars were so cool. :lol:
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by V8Ian.

More
1 year 8 months ago #237933 by Ozfury
I lived in the western suburbs of Sydney in the early 70s and remember the sharpie gangs used to terrorise punters on the trains at night. I think they were evolved from the skinheads and all had haircuts number 1 on top and long at the back, sort of like an anaemic mullet.

More
1 year 8 months ago #237936 by roKWiz

I lived in the western suburbs of Sydney in the early 70s and remember the sharpie gangs used to terrorise punters on the trains at night. I think they were evolved from the skinheads and all had haircuts number 1 on top and long at the back, sort of like an anaemic mullet.

Growing up in northern, Sydney at that time, we just called them "Westy's"

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
1 year 8 months ago #237938 by Mrsmackpaul

haircuts number 1 on top and long at the back, sort of like an anaemic mullet.

I think they call that a skullet, a term someone used to decribe what I could grow as I was explaining I left my go at a mullet to late

Was informed I still had enough bum fluff for a skullet :lol: :lol: :lol: :dry: :dry:

Funny old world

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 8 months ago #237943 by overnite

Now they’re called Bogans
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
1 year 8 months ago #237944 by Swanny
Listened to a podcast the other day on the life of Graham (Abo) Henry, he claims he was a sharpie in his younger days around Surry Hills ,Glebe , Darlinghurst ,Ultimo. Redfern area ,any problems with the other jokers he would give them a bit of a touch up the sort of bloke you don't mess with, i believe he had a good left hook, one of them & it was good night nurse.

More
1 year 8 months ago #237963 by Ozfury

Overnight I'll have you know I represent that remark
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

More
1 year 8 months ago #237967 by roKWiz

With $ydney's west going all yuppified these days, guess they needed a name change, moving on to places like the Central Coast or Newcastle. Which brings me to "Coasties"

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
1 year 8 months ago #237976 by overnite

With $ydney's west going all yuppified these days, guess they needed a name change, moving on to places like the Central Coast or Newcastle. Which brings me to "Coasties"

Which brings me thinking of places like Port Macquarie and similar that “older” people seem to congregate too, being known as God’s waiting room”.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds