Without any doubt . . .

You're a better man than me Gunga Din
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241618 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Lang's trip to India
Well bugger me, you two have fun and safe travels

I doubt India will ever be on my wish list of places to visit but that doesn't matter none as Im not going :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the adventure

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 5 months ago #241619 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Lang's trip to India
Lang,

There is a bloke who keeps on ring me at about 8pm.
Sometimes earlier. If you see him, ask him to stop please.

Enjoy the trip. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Inter-Action, Mairjimmy, husky, asw120, V8Ian, PDU

More
1 year 5 months ago #241620 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Lang's trip to India
Lang. Enjoy your safari. I used to apply "Never try to predict the unpredictable" when driving in Africa and still apply it here in Adelaide. Keeps your guard up. Also I always found Tabloid newspapers printed in English a good source for entertainment and Supermarkets for products that in today's Australia would offend someone but are readily available in the country being visited. Have fun and we look forward to your posts. Pete & Cath
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #241625 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's trip to India
The comedy month has started:

1. Call at 1100pm the night before we leave telling us our 3 day booking at Chennai hotel is cancelled for the first night - we arrive midnight.

Waking up from the phone call I tell them to cancel the whole booking. Oh no can;t do that because we only cancelled the first night you must kee the second and third.

So what are we to do walk the bloody streets for a day.

I applied the "If they don't understand just shout louder principal" and they cancelled everything.

2. Midnight in Brisbane before early flight in morning. On the internet and book another hotel through Booking.com.

3. Arrive in Kuala Lumpur after an hour late departure in Brisbane to find the Chennai flight is two hours late so all OK! Did I mention the Malaysian Airlines kindergarten chairs in a 20 year old aircraft with no movies.

4. Message on phone telling me Chennai hotel is cancelled because I did not reply to their booking reminder message because we were at 40,000 feet over the Bay of Bengal.

5. Arrive at Chennai Airport to find no driver to take us to hotel (if it exists). Another message in my phone telling me the original company has gone bust and if you walk a kilometre dragging your bags to another car park our replacement driver is waiting.

6. He turned out to be good for when we went out the car park (with number plate recognition) it came up on the toll booth screen 140 rupees ($2.50). Now this was outrageous according to the driver so he stopped all the cars trying to get out and offered the booth attendant 100 rupees. Seeing the line building up and the argument getting louder the screen suddenly changed to 100 rupees and off we went.

7. Got to hotel early morning to be told that as I did not reply to their update message (from 40,000 feet over the Bay of Bengal) the room is cancelled. Do you have any rooms? Of course sir. Well give me one! Will you fill out these three pages of details? Use the ones for the room you cancelled. Oh no sir, we are giving you the same room but as it was cancelled (by us 4 hours ago) you now have a new booking.

And the band played on!

Lang

Did I mention an hour before leaving Brisbane ELGi our sponsors messaged that they are picking us up from the hotel (after 3 hours sleep) and have the entire day planned at factories, lunches and we will be giving a talk to 3 different staff gathering FFS!
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Normanby, overlander, PaulFH, husky, Pierre, PDU, oliver1950

More
1 year 5 months ago #241626 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Lang's trip to India
What POM said.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241628 by Dima Ukraine
Replied by Dima Ukraine on topic Lang's trip to India

We leave tomorrow for another Indian driving trip. Going from Chennai (Madras) to Goa, then down to the southern tip and back to Chennai. Just Bev and me in a little Suzuki buzzbox.
I will not be able to keep up with the daily Critical Assessments for Dima maybe someone else might like to take on that mission while I am away.

Lang
My friend! I wish you a safe journey! Take care of yourself!
Thank you for remembering me!
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Dima Ukraine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #241631 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Lang's trip to India
Lang, That reads like a Script from Yes Minister Which Is Not surprising. Given that India is a former British Colony & the British bureaucratic Cultural System has Morphed into a Monster...
Just imagine what the next 6-7 Weeks will Bring..........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #241649 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Lang's trip to India
Flying start sorta, and barely a comment re the traffic?

Never mind sahib, sounds like you're going to become some sort of presentation walla??? Have fun . . .
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by PDU.

More
1 year 4 months ago #241663 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's trip to India
The operation is going surprisingly well. The ELGi team were only 90 minutes late picking us up for our first visit.

The contract cameraman was on time and we sat discussing the bad Indian appointment keeping while we waited.

Off we went to the huge Hyundai factory complex. It is surrounded by all the little parts suppliers.

First stop was at SEA Hydrosystems. They make nothing but hydraulic rams for many of the big equipment manufacturers including Australia.

It was with some surprise that I found 90% of the machinery is air operated. The entire factory relies on two ELGi compressors, one of which had 40,000 hours on it.

Usual drinks in the boardroom with anyone who is anybody. Lots of photos and the ELGi sales manager cornered the Chief Engineer trying to get him to buy a new compressor.

Off to lunch at a fabulous resort strangely called Queensland. I doubt most of the ELGi staff had ever eaten in such a flash place.

Anyhow, work to be done. Back to Hyundai city and to Grupo Antolin. This factory was immaculate with polished floors. It is a Spanish company and 4 out of 5 cars in the world have some or all of their interiors and upholstery made by GA.

The entire huge factory is totally air driven by just one huge ELGi compressor from which was coming a screaming bearing noise. Down for maintenance in January. Talk about all your eggs in one basket.

Another boardroom gathering, interesting talk about their operations, more tea and photos and the ELGi people telling the Engineering Director to get his act together and either repair or replace the compressor. On a good day they can pinch out half a million dollars worth of product. A compressor stopped for one day will cost more than an entire new one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Pierre, wee-allis, PDU, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.551 seconds