Skip to main content

Hotting up an Inter 6

More
13 years 7 months ago #34638 by kennymopar2
its been a while since ive taken a motor out of one of them .. does the radiator support panel unbolt?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #34639 by cobba
Replied by cobba on topic Re: Hotting up an Inter 6
Yep. Removed the radiator and about 30 or so 1/4" bolts and one bigger bolt at the bottom of the support panel and took the whole front panel off.

Dragged the gearbox out from under the truck today. It won't fit in fully assembled but will go if I remove the top cover. Should be OK if I make up a temporary cover so I don't knock any crap in when refitting it.

Still hoping to find a 5 speed overdrive box to put behind it in the next few weeks while the motor is being sorted out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here????

More
13 years 7 months ago #34640 by kennymopar2
not many 5 speed over drives avail .. but some of the inters and dodges seem to share 5 stud 16 & 17" wheels & they can be upgraded to 20" ..

More
13 years 7 months ago #34641 by cobba
Replied by cobba on topic Re: Hotting up an Inter 6
Yeah, looked at that idea too Kenny. Mine is running the 6 stud wheels and I haven't seen any 6 stud 20" wheels come up for sale anywhere yet.

The 5 speed overdrive seems the best option still. I know I might be waiting a while till one comes up but at least that way I can still drop back to 4th when I start onto a hill and I won't bog down as quickly as I would with the bigger wheels.

More
13 years 7 months ago #34642 by kennymopar2
the inters are usually tall geared ? the 1510 that i had would get up to 70mp/h then id have to slow down as the truck was a bit unstable at speed

More
13 years 6 months ago #34643 by Normy J
Replied by Normy J on topic Re: Hotting up an Inter 6
G'Day Everyone :) Been Keeping an eye on this fine and very informative forum for a while now ::) Finally signed up and this be me first post! EXCITED haha :D. Anyway. My ? bein thus. I've got an AB-130 with the big block :o AGD-264 +4spd. Have got a T-34 o/d box and can get my hands on a 6.354 to go in front. can anyone tell me how much xtra weight this would add? Thanking you. Normyj

C1800 C1300 4x4 D1310 4x4 D1410 4x4 AB-130 R-190 6x4

More
13 years 6 months ago #34644 by kennymopar2
at a guess 150kg extra

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #34645 by
Replied by on topic Re: Hotting up an Inter 6
A 6.354 ready to drop into a truck weighs 558 kgs. 2 kgs more than a Cat 3208 V8, believe it or not.
An AGD-264 would weigh around 220 kgs at most. So that's about 340 kgs extra in the Perkins.
The T17/T18 4 speed weighs 59 kgs. The T-34 weighs 87 kgs. There's another nearly 30 kgs extra in the O/D gearbox.
You're looking at around a total weight gain of approximately 370 kgs.
6 cyl Perkins diesels and O/D 5 speeds don't make for a light combination.
Having said that .. I knew some farmers that had a SWB D1300 and they poked a 6.354 and a 5 sp O/D in it, when nearly new.
It went like a cut cat, and they got 19mpg out of it. To say they were satisfied with it, is an understatement.

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds