Skip to main content

Recovering Flood Affected manuals and photos

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #43117 by bparo
I read the below on the TOMM forum, contacted the person that made the post and she not only gave me permission to post it here (and use it in 'The Monitor') but sent me an updated copy so here it is
[hr]

I found a video of flooding at Lake Goldsmith engine sheds today [January 16, 2011]. This got me thinking that restorers and collectors in Qld, Vic, NSW and Tas. would have flood affected manuals, photos etc.

As a vintage vehicle and antique machinery collector and restorer and also a professional archivist with some experience in recovering flood damaged materials the message for collectors with photos, old manuals etc. that have been water affected is that ALL maybe is not lost.

I realise that not everyone can quickly get to their collectables because of personal matters taking priority in the aftermath of a flood and because access to some areas will be difficult

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by bparo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #43118 by Malfunction
Thanks bparo this will be very relevant stuff, I have, how to care for the photos and other things after insects and others but not floods or water damage. I have some old BCC files here that were stored underground at the Coronation drive Workshops at Milton, needless to say they went under in 74, they still have some of the mud on them but they are in reasonable condition considering.
Someone spent some time restoring them the right way.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #43119 by bparo
some more related information thanks to Jenny

Restoring a Drowned Car ? answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/566637.html

DIY Post-Flood Car Cleaning by David Tong monologue.davidleetong.com/monologues/di...r-cleaning-recovery/

Reconditioning Flood-Damaged Tractors (PDF) A guide to fixing flood-damaged tractors, such as steps for engine and transmission repair and other concerns. www.ces.ncsu.edu/disaster/factsheets/pdf/tractors.pdf

Though it

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by bparo.

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds