Skip to main content

Some Old Gear

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #54686 by
Replied by on topic Re: Some Old Gear
Great pics, Baz .. where did you manage to dig these up from? 8-)
Very early pics indeed. Have to be 1966 or 1967 at the latest.
The Mt Tom Price mine construction commenced around January 1965, and there were no LeTourneau-Westinghouse dump trucks big enough to meet the companys needs, so American equipment was used.

WABCO did not come into existence until June 1968, when American Standard Inc, purchased the Westinghouse Air Brake Co.
As the LeTourneau-Westinghouse Construction Division was a subsidiary of Westinghouse, American Standard acquired LeTourneau-Westinghouse in the deal, and A-S decided to ditch the LeTourneau name completely, and renamed the construction division, simply, WABCO.

The first ore was shipped from Mt Tom Price in August 1966, with a load of 52,000 tons, loaded onto the Huon Maru at Dampier, for delivery to the Yawata Iron & Steel Co in Japan.

O.K. .. ID, in picture order ..

Pic 1 .. (L-R, top to bottom) Unidentifiable grader (probably Cat 12E) .. 2 KW-Dart D-2771 articulated dumpers.
Below the K-W Darts, a green Euclid, possibly an R-35 model.
Below left, another KW-Dart D-2771. To the right, a Marion shovel. To the right of the shovel, a D8H. Below the shovel, another KW-Dart D-2771.

The KW-Dart D-2771 was rated at 110 tons, and was the first regularly available dump truck model to exceed 100 tons capacity, when introduced in 1965.

Pic 2 .. Can't tell you a thing about the buses, I'll leave that to the bus experts .. ;)

Pic 3 .. (L to R) Early Series 2A, SWB Landrover .. Cat 12E, 21F model, towing the trailer .. Cat D7E ..

Pic 4 .. Marion shovel loading a KW-Dart D-2771 ..

Pic 5 .. Marion shovel loading what appears to be a Euclid R-35 dump truck ..

Pic 6 .. D9G in front .. Marion shovel behind ..

Pic 7 .. The drill rig is certainly a bit of a mystery truck. 4WD .. I'd have to say, a modified R190. Don't recall any Diamond T's in the North.

Pat is right .. those KW-Dart dumpers would have to be the biggest mongrel of things to back, you could ever get. They didn't last long, electric WABCO 120 tonners were on the job at Mt Tom Price by 1969.
Those KW-Darts are just totally forgotten. Can't find any pics of them anywhere. The best I can find, is pics of the Matchbox/Lesney toy version.

A bloke has done a good write-up of dump truck brand history here .. although the story of WABCO Australia isn't listed ..

www.utahrails.net/bingham/trucks-builders.php

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #54687 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: Some Old Gear

Pic 2 .. Can't tell you a thing about the buses, I'll leave that to the bus experts .. ;)

No expert, but reckon the three on the left are Flxible Clippers.

More
12 years 10 months ago #54688 by Chris P
Replied by Chris P on topic Re: Some Old Gear
Any more pics would be great, my granddad used to work in Tom Price in the late 60's. Would be cool to pass on some photos!

More
12 years 10 months ago #54689 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: Some Old Gear
Just lookin at the drilling rig, can't see a steering wheel on the right, maybe a US import with a front diff. Like the "big iron" KW's, International had similar heavy duty models.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 10 months ago #54690 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Some Old Gear

RE: The Drill Rig
Wunder ifn itz a US import into Xmouth US base on the left coast
there were sum Inter V200 or sum model like th@
they found there way eventually to the right coast n were ideal for repower etc

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 10 months ago #54691 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Some Old Gear
Hi Swishy,

I dont think it would be from the Harold E Holt base as it was about then the base was in full steam ahead being built. Wasnt really until 70's some gear was been sold off.
There was a lot of US oil field gear in the area in the late 50's - 60's so it may have been a pick up from that.
I does look like it could be a V200 as you say.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
12 years 10 months ago #54692 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Some Old Gear
Wasn't there sorta like an R200 type gadget with a 'squared' front that the military, i think Air Force had????
I remember seeing them in the back of the Truck and Bus mags for sale, when i was a kid..

Copy Jimbo...get em out again....we need pics....
i'll go about 71 - 72...

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 10 months ago #54693 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Some Old Gear
Interesting pics Basil, We had a tour of the workings 1966, a cousin was to do with maintaining the drill rigs, he took us around in his Holden which had a crook battery and no park brake, so every time we stopped a bit of level ground had to be found, which is hard to judge on the side of a hill. My pics are on colour slides, will have a look at them. David.

More
12 years 10 months ago #54694 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: Some Old Gear
well ,my complements to the owners of the pictures

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

12 years 10 months ago #54695 by
Replied by on topic Re: Some Old Gear
Looks like you win melon :P

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds