Skip to main content

My 1950A is on the road....

More
15 years 6 months ago #5173 by GM Diesel
Bono,

I know I shouldnt be laughing but it is amusing that a fella that makes a living working with some really high tec fire suppression materials goes up in smoke ! :'( ;D
Seriously your lucky it didnt end up toast.

Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #5174 by Bono
Ahh the irony... thx Bazz, never looked at it like that, hardly a ringing endorsement lol.

Looks like the tank had a submersible pump or one that is inside the tank? That what the elec is telleing me. The pump which was continually running s***t itself, causing the burnout. Does this make sense to you guys. The truck has been going without the pump running just the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Drive it home in the morning -- take a pack of marshmallows just in case.

Cheers, Bono.
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Bono.

15 years 6 months ago #5175 by
Replied by on topic Re: My 1950A is on the road....
Bono why has it got elec pump?? only reason i can come up with is that at somtime she had 2 tanks and they used pump from tank to tank.
My 1975 Bedford had a mechincal pump and thats way i would think your truck should be. Dave

15 years 6 months ago #5176 by
Another reason that it could have been fitted, if there was ever a leak back of fuel to the tank, this then led to dry fuel lines and then lots of NO GO starting problems, an electric pump fitted stopped this problem by having it work flat out once the key was turned on, priming the fuel lines, then when you released the key from the starting position, the pump was turned of ( meant to be turned of ).
If you want to test this, or better still, get the auto lecky to test for it, but if you really want to do it yourself, then try this lot, remove the electrics from this pump and let it sit for a couple of days, then try and start the animal, if it NO GO 'cause of no fuel in the lines, then hook it back up so you can get going.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 6 months ago #5177 by Bono
Thx guys,
i 've got no idea why there is a pump, it may br like you say greenie because it dcefinitely aint for tank to tank. it s going to the motor. the pump is fried in any case so ihave no choice. Seems to go ok without it. Maybe it s from when it had another donk. Got her home today - no probs and will go over it tomorrow.

Thx for the info guys

Cheers bono

15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #5178 by
Generally an electric pump was fitted, if the fuel leaked back from the pump to the tank leaving the fuel lines empty, pure economics said to fit the pump.
Cost of the pump and auto elecy to fit it, sure outweighed the cost of tearing the pump of the motor, sending it away for a diagnostic and repairs to the fuel pump, as well as having the vehicle down for days.
You could have the pump fitted in a couple of hours and you were on your way again.
Test the fuel pump to see if holds fuel for a few days, or it could get embarrassing.
Tank to tank fuel flow is always through a connector hose, from the bottom of the tanks, with taps to control fuel flow, or to block of each tank if the hose got ripped out.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds