Skip to main content

SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS C510

More
13 years 7 months ago #34531 by Sandy
C510 KENWORTH
Largest Road Train in Australia
I had never intended to do another write up but I have been asked a number of times to share my project, a problem being, it now is some 18 to 24 months after I commenced building, so some photos may not fully coincide with the script.

Before we go any further I have to say
A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO
Bulkhaul (subsidiary of the Cooper Families Gulf group of companies) for the inspiration to build this Road train

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #34532 by Sandy
Now for the rivet counters, this is a mix match of the best point (in my opinion) of 2 trucks that will make

More
13 years 7 months ago #34533 by Sandy
POWER POD (middle

More
13 years 7 months ago #34534 by Sandy
With the suspension the same as the bottom trailer (power pod) I found it had very limited movement between the axles groups / chassis & road conditions in an off road situation, compared to the

More
13 years 7 months ago #34535 by Sandy
RADIATOR / INTERCOOLER ASSEMBELY
Fabricate the housing out of metal with, with metal fly wire soldered inside.

A plywood layered block is the radiator / intercooler & fan shroud, then on one side I made the intercooler air induction housing that would connect the pressure tube to the intercooler, the fan shroud was made by sanding a plywood block into shape, & gluing shade cloth on both sides,.
The fan was cut out of a circle of aluminium, that was scribed into 8 equal parts, then cut out & bent to shape, a long nail was went though the fan into the wood & the other end was left protruding through some metal flywire as the hydro motor would locate onto this.
A hydro motor was some thread bar with ends flattened & drilled for the oil pipes,
the pipes was bent wire, the pressure control box = bit of brass, oil filter = plastistruct, the turbo tube = fuel tube, then all was soldered together with some brass square tube, 2 lifting hooks on the roof, when finished this motor pod will defiantly be ready for a refit. (fuel tank breather at the bottom)

No 2

More
13 years 7 months ago #34536 by Sandy
THE REST OF THE

More
13 years 7 months ago #34537 by Stew70
Awesome work Sandy. Well done. :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #34538 by Sandy
C510 KENWORTH TRI DRIVE

REAR SUSPENSION
The rails were cut to 32 in long & work began on the rear drives.
A reefer suspension was used as this would keep the diffs in parallel, but they were to close together (dog bone would not fit in), so had to add extra length between diff centres, this was done but straightening out the top spring leaf and re-bending the spring to the desired length using a home made jig, then widen track on each side so I could use the duels, all this was quite easy to do top round tube is to support rubber mud guard strips , the bottom 1/8 tubing is for road sweep flaps , they nock over anything that the front tyre may have stood up to give the tyre behind it a puncher.

I am a little concerned that this suspension even in STD form it maybe too stiff & some spring leaves may need to be taken out, I put a double size house brick on the back of this truck & the suspension hardly moved, Oh well time will tell.

Standard KH shaft coupled to a

More
13 years 7 months ago #34539 by Sandy
KENWORTH TWIN STEER LOAD SHARE FRONT SUSPENSION
I

More
13 years 7 months ago #34540 by Sandy
BONNET
This bonnet is huge; (some