Skip to main content

SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS C510

More
13 years 7 months ago #34541 by Sandy
THE AUSSIE BULL BAR
For the T650 I made a strap bar (same type as the Tamiya plastic b/b), these are not legal in Australia any more, & I have been toying with building something like this (a square box tube bar) for a long time but could not imagine a simple way.

Now with a bit of lateral thinking
Making this box bar was 3 times the work but should look the part; the new B/B is a very much straight up & down, this was all made out of left over patio tube.
Measured & cut out 6 full size (centre posts) & 4 half size (end posts), 15 min on the angle grinder then for ever on belt sander & files, as they are all have to be in perfect shape for the brass strap to solder onto, firstly drill all the holes, then solder a strap to one side, held it all in place with small nails, then solder the other side in.
It will save my C510 Kenny from getting damaged
SO BLOODY SIMPLE!! WHY HAD I NOT THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE!!??
Wooden jig

Remember to ONLY DRILL the uprights that have pipes protruding through, solder the up-rights to the bumper & circle solder around the tubes, then file/sand the excess solder away, the hardest part is to not scratch the tubes, as the tubes will to end-up looking like anodized bronze / gold with polished aluminium uprights when finished / painted.

4 strapped, still l strap to be wrapped

To attach to the truck same as in T650 (preceding) post, except there is a small difference to the attaching plate, because it is a straight front bar, I made an extra holding point, when the bar is perfect drill an extra hole then & screw in place , so it is held in the perfect upright position

Ready for painting (what a pain in the butt to mask up)
Detailing
Areal bracket (on main upright) & spot light brackets (on main middle cross bar)
mud flap brackets under the bar
Then tilted, B/B has a pipe hinge the same as in T650 (preceding) post.
The T650 B/B a great learning curve, now I

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #34542 by Sandy
I stuffed up on that last paragraph & not sure how to take it out OH well, disregard it.

SECOND STEER MUD GUARDS
These are all metal, & I thought they were going to be a pain, but they were a real breeze to make.
I drew up the profile in cardboard as a look/see, then cut it out in metal & soldered it together, the guards had the right spacing to be attached to the centre bolt on the suspension rocker by some thread bar, with another 1/8 square box tube soldered to the back on the guard for another thread bar to slip into out of the chassis, at the rear spring hanger, the guards will be held in place by some glue on the thread bar, so I can slide them off if needs be, lip at the bottom of this guard is for the rear of the front (plastic kit guard) to latch onto, remember it swings upward to open.
The cut outs in the guards are for the suspension mountings bolted onto chassis.

With steps at the bottom of the guard

SAFETY WALK PLATES
All walk plates are cut from some S/Steel mesh I had lying around, & edged with brass angle & soldered together, then attached to the appropriate panel

Grant showed up with his

More
13 years 7 months ago #34543 by Sandy
Thanks once again to

More
13 years 7 months ago #34544 by Sandy
Modelling for me is a 3 way competition with my self, between what the eyes see, how the engineering imagination can transform & then end up with the hand hopefully building these parts.
To reduplicate the real engineering with all its modification

More
13 years 7 months ago #34545 by Sandy
Not sure what

More
13 years 7 months ago #34546 by Stew70
Great work again Sandy. Your attention to detail is amazing. The Truck looks great.

Stew.

More
12 years 3 months ago #34547 by Sandy
DUCK BUM/ AIR CON
Also while I

More
12 years 3 months ago #34548 by Sandy
Now that I have made the Road Train a roller, & seeing it run at the truck expo, I just have to get it powered up

More
12 years 3 months ago #34549 by Sandy
POWER POD yes a TWIN POWER

This turned out to be a very simple exercise (for Bill that is) he linked the 2 receivers together then tuned them in, & they worked dam near perfectly together in tandem, even when doing a fast change though the gears, I

More
12 years 3 months ago #34550 by Sandy
The Side Tippers at last

Now the truck has been mainly finished & the power pod is a goer so to speak , the tippers are my next big challenge, because of the cost of including hydraulics is so prohibitive, I will be using an idea from a local company (Boomerang Engineering WA), to tip /empty the trailers.
This uses a system were ropes & cantilevers to open / close the side gate as the tipper is raised / lowered, here is a prototype of the how the trailers will work with this cable system, & to save $$

Time to create page: 1.051 seconds