Skip to main content

Sat Nav Advice

More
10 years 9 months ago #123607 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
Tom Tom

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #123608 by Bruce99
Replied by Bruce99 on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
My new Garmin now uses "NAVTEQ" maps which I'm almost certain are Google maps because they both contain the same errors.
One BIG error is if you put in a trip from Bordertown to Kingston SE in SA.
Another is from Kingston SE to Naracoorte.
Been more than one person sent on a goose chase!
12 moths ago I was informed they admitted the error & would advise when it was fixed. Still waiting!!
The cheap Chinese iGo8 unit never had those errors!

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Bruce99.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123609 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
literally walked every inch to validate the mapping
Gee that would be fun in Australia :D
My be we could give the unemployed something to do
Walk for the Dole ;D
Ian

10 years 9 months ago #123610 by
Replied by on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
I started with a Garmin 2460lt they all come with Aust maps never had a problem at all. I recently bought a Garmin dezel 760lmt. It is bigger but after a day you get used to it. You put in height length weight ect I find it excellent. The fellow I usually travel with still has the 2460 and has to be carefull sometimes as it takes him on a different route to my 760. Mine tends to take the long way maybe the truck route. If I know where I am going and after Karen stops giving a ear bashing and it re calculates ... I cant fault it at all. Been to some out of the way places never been led up the garden parth yet.

10 years 9 months ago #123611 by
Replied by on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
That Garmin sounds like a fine piece of kit ....
just a quick note from me :-

It is not a good idea to rely on a SatNav to indicate road speed.

A conventional speedo represents a physical chain of links between road and Speedo and indicates the relative difference in speed between the two items.

A SatNav speed indication displays the rate of change of distance between the position of the SatNav and 3 or more
satellites in geo-stationary orbit.
This is fine if the Earths Surface is a constant height above sea level, but as it is not , then any slope on the earth, will increase or decrease the distance to the satellites, and hence the calculation of rate of change.
This has resulted in SatNav users being charged for breaking speed limits, particularly in hilly areas where the altitude of the vehicle can vary by hundreds of metres over short distances.
This is a logical comment, and would be an interesting exercise for any 'High IQ Maths person', to perform some calculations ? ( not me :))

Cheers
RS :)

More
10 years 9 months ago #123612 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
Well thanks for all the info, will have a closer look at that Garmin dezel.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123613 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
I have a top of the range Navman, what a PoS! It's inaccurate, gets confused about which direction it's travelling and continually freezes. After sales service/support fobs me off with update maps and software.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #123614 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
My older Navman did that too me in big way a couple of years ago. I was trying to get a distance from home to Kyabram for the White truck muster, so logged in some towns along the proposed route. The first one was to the east but when the map came up the little man (or woman) inside the plastic case was determined to send me west for a bit, then south and eventually east and through the first town, which is only 25 km by bitumen from here.

Last year when we went to Sandown my clever daughter (who I was taking to Melbourne for a new job) insisted that the woman would be more reliable, so changed the voice to female. Needless to say she got us lost going from Swishy's to Sandown. (hardly possible but it happened) Hang on, Acar was the back-up navigator, so maybe he was part of the confusion. Cheers
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Tacho.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 9 months ago #123615 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
Tacho
Gudday M8

Tiz a common problem U have

tiz all related to the loose nut B Hind D wheel

LOL

Go buy a Melway n u're there ... ;)

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 9 months ago #123616 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
I used to confuse Melbournians by asking them to show me somewhere in my Melbourne UBD. ;D

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds