Skip to main content

Sat Nav Advice

More
10 years 9 months ago #123617 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
UBD = Useless Bl***y Directory ;D

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123618 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
I have a less than expensive unit.
Large screen that can be readily seen at a glance, running IGO8 software.
Had it for many years, seems to do the job, has all the usual inbuilt gadgets.
Have ran it alongside other far more expensive units, with all the trendsetter map packs,.. it holds its own.

To be fair though, whether you are using a gadget or working out of a street directory a bit of caution would be required..

chocs 8-)

More
10 years 9 months ago #123619 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
I have an old Tom Tom love to go the wrong way pi$$es me off that it does not get angry when you take a wrong turn :D :D :D :D :D :D

More
10 years 9 months ago #123620 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
What sort is yours Chocs ? Now what Brownie and Tacho have said raises another question. If the sat nav takes you somewhere and there is a obvious problem with that route ie low bridge, the road is closed can you ask the machine to supply an alternative route? Or if you do a U turn does it simply lead you back to that problem. Do you need to turn it off and go and buy a map? Well that is 3 questions I suppose.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123621 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
Atkipete
Mine is fairly old and has been update for years (with new roads voice says you are on unknown road my comment is I know the road ;me 1 machine 0)
But yes it will tell you a new alternative if you request or take a different route ;D ;D

More
10 years 8 months ago #123622 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
I have one of those el cheapo Chinaman made Igo something. It is now about 18 months old. it uses the whereis maps by Telstra which just about says it all. I live just north of Taree and the first version of maps had me going off the new highway and down what is now old bridge rd to cross the Lansdowne river at the Coopernook pub. Slight problem, the bridge was removed well over 12 months ago. Looks as if this thing may update itself as I have never done so and it now reads correct, no bridge at the pub.
I have another question with these things and that is the Igo is a 12 volt unit and soon we will be wanting it in out Hino truck which is 24 volt. What is the answer to this problem? Do I have to buy a transformer or something?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
10 years 8 months ago #123623 by waynestr
Replied by waynestr on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
Check the specs in the book that came with it. My Garmin is 12/24v

More
10 years 8 months ago #123624 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
Most will be dual voltage. If not you can buy an adaptor to plug into the cig lighter that will reduce 24 to 12 from Jaycar or Dickie's.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
10 years 8 months ago #123625 by JBran
Replied by JBran on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
So I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450, which work fine, I have free map updates, and it is quite accurate too! But because when on the move you have to pull over to set it up, I use Google Maps app on my phone, as you can set it at lights or whatever. If you have a smartphone, try Google Maps. It is also very accurate, and easy to use. Only bad thing is, it uses mobile data, which costs money compared to a GPS signal!! :) ;) :D ;D 8-) :P

More
10 years 8 months ago #123626 by waynestr
Replied by waynestr on topic Re: Sat Nav Advice
I have a Garmin, you can set it on the move. You must have chosen the wrong options in settings somewhere. I can also talk to mine. No need to touch the screen. Just say " voice command"

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds