Skip to main content

cummins 8.3 Litre

More
10 years 3 months ago #135274 by kenny-mopar
Replied by kenny-mopar on topic Re: cummins 8.3 Litre
this one does the same ..i think almost everything in the Acco (1850D) apart from the steering wheel has been changed from factory :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135275 by q4016lanz
Replied by q4016lanz on topic Re: cummins 8.3 Litre
It should have more power than a perkins dad pulls a 45 ft trailer with his :)

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #135276 by _Kev
Replied by _Kev on topic Re: cummins 8.3 Litre

They are a good little engine. Fitted to alot of garbage trucks agi's and komatsu loaders. Will go forever if looked after. Known as C series cummins. They are a navistar engine.

Close, they were originally designed (along with the 3.9 and 5.9 B series) by JI Case, which then joined up with Cummins to form Consolidated Diesel Co. which built these engines. The navistar engine in accos was the DT-466, 210hp engine

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #135277 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: cummins 8.3 Litre
Interesting bit of info there Kev. So were those motors from JI Case (which you said) or from International after the buy-out Quite a lot of the joint name machinery came from the IH side I believe, things like the Magnum tractor power shift transmission and the Axial Flow grain harvester.
Cheers

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #135278 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: cummins 8.3 Litre
The way I understand it is Case needed an engine and approached Cummins to build it, so the engines were designed for agricultural use. The thing is that the engines were so good, the were used in other applications.

It was basically the same idea as the Perkins/Massey Ferguson partnership. Almost every Case tractor since the 80's has got a Cummins in some form or another.

Dad has a 2350 Acco with the 8.3L 240HP in it. I changed the head gasket about 12 months ago and when I did, no word of a lie, I could see into the sump past the pistons it was that worn. But it used bugger all oil and after we did the injectors, she had most of the 240 horses back in the paddock.

Another time, I was working for a cane harvesting contractor and old mate in a PowerHaul overheated it pulling up a range. But instead of pulling over, he held the Murphy in and kept going to the top. Then instead of letting it idle to cool off, he switched it off and that was it, she never wound over again. I got there about 20 minutes latter and I swear the block was still glowing red. When the boss pulled the engine down to rebuild it, he couldn't get the pistons out for they had welded themselves into the cylinders.

They're still not a Detroit, or a Deere, but mighty little engines all the same.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #135279 by kenny-mopar
They seem to run some decent boost and even have a water filter ... Defiantly made to last a million kms

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #135280 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: cummins 8.3 Litre
I forgot to mention that Dad's Acco was an Agi in a previous life. It only has 350k on the clock, but in excess of 20K hours running time... Still all original

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #135281 by kenny-mopar
With the cummins set at 240/250hp hooked up to a auto with a gross load of 22 or more tons they don't have a easy life

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds