Skip to main content

Unusual load - 3 steam locos by road 5-6 Sep 09

More
12 years 6 months ago #14215 by melonreo
Bruce
thanks for the update ,i have enjoyed this topic..has the puffing billy closed or downsized ,please keep us or me informed as i enjoy steam trains alot.i would also be interested to find out where all the old steamers are located in vic so i can check em out if i am in that area.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #14216 by BK

Bruce, well done mate. Thanks for putting those pictures up. For the uneducated at least we now know how they load them. I will look out for them to go past today as I live by the Portarlington road where they will go down to Drysdale to unload. Might even be able to go take a bo peep at the unloading area. Cheers Tim :)

;D ;D Mate, check the date of the first post. ;D ;D

Trust me

More
12 years 6 months ago #14217 by tim
BK, I was just re reading the post (from the top) & realised that I was a few years LATE. Bugger!!!!! Just goes to show that I do need me eyes tested. Thanks for the reminder mate. Cya Tim :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ::) ::)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
12 years 6 months ago #14218 by Chocs
Don't give him away BK..

I reckon he whipped that story up for his missus.....
He's tryin to get outa mowin the grass!!

Apparently he motored off in the KW....just in case they needed the extra pime mover...
He'll be safe till she reads this.... :-/

chocs 8-)

More
12 years 6 months ago #14219 by hayseed
chocs, I think you've been hanging 'round Lorry Builder for far toooo long :D :D :D

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
12 years 6 months ago #14220 by bparo

Bruce
thanks for the update ,i have enjoyed this topic..has the puffing billy closed or downsized ,please keep us or me informed as i enjoy steam trains alot.i would also be interested to find out where all the old steamers are located in vic so i can check em out if i am in that area.

Puffing Billy is still up and running and the biggest danger to it is red tape. It stilll runs every day except Christmas Day.

They have a steam Museum in Menzies Creek and these three locomotives are 3"6" gauge (1034mm) while Puffing Billy is 2'6" (762mm)which would lead to a bumpy ride.

Puffing Billy chased and obtained a lot of equipment in the early 1960's when there were not a lot of established alternatives to establish a Museum at their then terminus, Menzies Creek on the basis of 'grab it before it is gone'.

50 years later they reassessed their collection and have completed the rationalization to concentrate on items that can run on their railway (or smaller or road) and are investing over $300,000 in a display shed, upgrading the work areas etc just for the Museum. The aim is to move the presentation and volunteers work areas from the 1960's to current best practice and have a larger variety of operable or interactive and interpreted exhibits as times have changed and the average person in the street now has no idea about steam power whereas in the 1960's steam trains etc were still in daily use

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Time to create page: 0.453 seconds