Skip to main content

Banning polluting trucks?

More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #247465 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Banning polluting trucks?
Not to mention new truck dealers and salesmen ..........I recall some 30 years ago ,the dealers went to the then Transport Minister in Qld (Hamill) with a proposition ......get all the old cars and trucks off the road ,and there will be a very nice donation there for you.................some here will recall the Nazi style roadblocks and mass defecting of any car or truck over five years old ...and quite a few under ........once the Brownshirts were mad with power ,half the cars in Queensland were put off the road.....Petty things like low water level in windscreen washers ,and similar .
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120, rex, theabundantlife

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 1 week ago #247466 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Banning polluting trucks?
Louie: I would agree that a retrofit / rebuild operation would reap far better and quicker dividends. It would, of course need to be heavily subsidised, as only the big players could likely afford such a thing. You don't want to drive the owner-operators out of business.

John: I remember that. They did catch a few really bad ones (I remember a HD Holden with vise-grips for a steering wheel shown in a news segment), but I also remember a bit of an uproar about people with perfectly good cars being defected for empty washer bottles.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: theabundantlife

More
8 months 1 week ago #247481 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Banning polluting trucks?
I find it interesting that they make a point of 1 in 16 trucks being built pre 1996 when a lot of those older trucks that are still working would have been remotored, probably with post 1996 motors by now as the old ones would be worn out by now.

If pre 1996 is old and polluting then they should look at our rail network. Most of the diesel locomotives are pre 1996 and we are one of the few places in the world with 1950s, 60s and 70s diesels in regular use on our rail network. International railfans come here to photograph them in daily use and they are still using the original motors (it may have been replaced/rebuilt but it's still the same motor design, economy and emissions). There are no emissions standards in Australia for railways

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
8 months 1 week ago #247488 by lemmiwinks
This stuff is straight out of Commiefornia (California), they did a similar stunt there. No worries I say, let the truckies drop your goods at the border/city limits and you can come get them in your Prius.

The further removed people are from the systems that support them (i.e. food/farming, goods/transport, manufacturing/services) the dumber they are. Who is the most removed? Politicians, followed closely by the inner city lefties that make the most noise for the dumbest policies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, overlander, wee-allis, oliver1950, theabundantlife

More
8 months 1 week ago #247529 by Roderick Smith
Roderick

Wed.31.8.22 Melbourne 'Herald Sun'. E-buses backed.
AUSTRALIANS are strongly in support of moves to electrify public transport bus fleets, with a YouGov poll showing 70 per cent believe we should ditch diesel buses as soon as possible.
The survey of more than 2000 adult Aussies, commissioned by the Climate Council, found two in three - or 66 per cent — want all diesel and petrol buses to be replaced with electric alternatives by 2030 at the latest.
Around one in eight respondents (12 per cent) of the YouGov poll said they were opposed.
Some jurisdictions have ambitious goals for the adoption of electric buses.
All new buses in Victoria and southeast Queensland will be zero-emissions by 2025, while greater Sydney’s bus fleet will be fully transitioned by 2035 and the ACT’s by 2040, governments have promised.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree, PaulFH, xspanrman, theabundantlife

More
8 months 6 days ago - 8 months 6 days ago #247535 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Banning polluting trucks?
O DEAR!
Two things in Rodericks Post, Commissioned by the Climate Council and governments have promised. !!!!

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.
Last edit: 8 months 6 days ago by eerfree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis, theabundantlife

More
8 months 6 days ago #247540 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Banning polluting trucks?
When there skewed survey says "Victoria and Southeast Queensland" I think they mean "The Cities and suburbs of Melbourne and Brisbane." I live in a small town 120 kilometres from Melbourne and doubt there will be electric buses here in my lifetime.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: theabundantlife

More
8 months 6 days ago #247543 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Banning polluting trucks?
The BCC electric bus trials havent gone well ,on the flat runs they cant get one four hour shift out of them,the trials in hilly runs have resulted in tows back to depot..............anyone who had the misfortune to work on deathtrap coaches thirty years ago would have told them that the air conditioning compressor and the dozen blowers needed would take more power than moving the bus ...........the coaches used to have 400amp alternators,and that was just the blowers .......the AC was belt driven off the notor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, PaulFH

More
8 months 1 day ago #247714 by lemmiwinks
Can't wait until we get those "clean", "green", "eco-friendly" busses everywhere!

archive.md/2022.05.23-002558/https://www...fordshire-bus-depot/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, theabundantlife

More
8 months 1 day ago #247722 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Banning polluting trucks?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, eerfree, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy, Normanby, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, wee-allis, oliver1950 and 1 other people also said thanks.

Time to create page: 0.618 seconds