Skip to main content

Ford 4000 Hydraulics

More
10 years 4 months ago #132958 by cro
Ford 4000 Hydraulics was created by cro
Went to an auction & ended up with this lovely piece of machinery.

[IMG

Squeezed it into the shed to rip off the cab.

[IMG

The secondary hydraulics ? Which operate the front end loader are not working properly. Can someone identify this & advise on how it works?

[IMG

[IMG

Thanks Cro

Ill think of something shortly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #132959 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Ford 4000 Hydraulics
Cro, the auxiliary hydrualics are plumbed straight into the 3 pt hydraulics. The spool between your legs will control the up/down of the loader, and by the looks of it, the spool by your right foot should change between bucket and the lift arms. The only problem I can see is that empty coupler on the spool between your legs. It should be connected to something. I have 2 guesses, one is that there should be two hoses coming from the spool by your foot, and both should go back to the spool under the seat, meaning the up/down is controlled by this one and function by the other, or, one hose comes from the spool under the seat and the other hose goes back to the trans. This means the main spool is simply an on/off, and the spool by your foot controls everything.

I hope this makes sense. DD

More
10 years 4 months ago #132960 by dieseldog
Nice tractor by the way. Do you mind saying how many pennies you parted with? Are you restoring it or simply putting it to work?

More
10 years 4 months ago #132961 by cro
Replied by cro on topic Re: Ford 4000 Hydraulics
Thanks DD
The quick release coupling & the rubber line I swapped around to see if I could get constant pressure but that didn't work.
How it initially worked was there are two leavers that where mounted up near the steering on the cab. They are just flopping around now since I took the cab off. One lifted the bucket the other tilted it. The one you can see & would be next to my right leg lifted the bucket the other you cannot see in the picture. To operate either of these two spools I had to hold the centre spool back at the same time meaning I need 4 hands to steer, raise the bucket & dump at the same time.
I took a pic of a simular one down the road

[IMG

I'm wondering if the two hoses coming out of the bottom may have positive pressure all the time and my unit has one only outlet the same can I use this? My returns all go back to the trans behind the seat. Bit confusing but ill take a photo tomorrow that may explain better. But then ill just try it & see what happens.
$1300 The tyres are nearly worth that.
Cro :) :) :)

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #132962 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Ford 4000 Hydraulics

Cro, the auxiliary hydrualics are plumbed straight into the 3 pt hydraulics. The spool between your legs will control the up/down of the loader, and by the looks of it, the spool by your right foot should change between bucket and the lift arms. The only problem I can see is that empty coupler on the spool between your legs. It should be connected to something. I have 2 guesses, one is that there should be two hoses coming from the spool by your foot, and both should go back to the spool under the seat, meaning the up/down is controlled by this one and function by the other, or, one hose comes from the spool under the seat and the other hose goes back to the trans. This means the main spool is simply an on/off, and the spool by your foot controls everything.

I hope this makes sense. DD

Cro, after reading your last post. I reckon DD has nailed IT.

Just get a bit of wire ect & tie handle between your legs back.

Yours is a 6X & your Mates is a 6Y.

Pretty sure yours should have a selector lever near the 3PL control to select between Remote & 3PL operation..
I might have a manual laying 'round here I'll try & dig it out & have a look for you.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by hayseed.

More
10 years 4 months ago #132963 by Bruce99
Replied by Bruce99 on topic Re: Ford 4000 Hydraulics
Yep. Show us a photo of the other side.
There should be a 'button' to push in or pull out to switch like Seed said.
Was on the one I 'grew' up on.

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
10 years 4 months ago #132964 by cro
Replied by cro on topic Re: Ford 4000 Hydraulics

More
10 years 4 months ago #132965 by dieseldog
Cro, I don't think yours has the 3pt/external selector as you have a separate lever to control oil flow and are not using your 3pt lever to control the rams. And yours is double acting, most changeover types are not. The screw knob on the side of the trans case is just a rate of drop control. Just wondering is that a small spool on the top of the valve and does it provide the detent to lock the main spool oil flow?

Regards DD

More
10 years 4 months ago #132966 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Ford 4000 Hydraulics
Cro, I'm digging deep here on the grey matter here :-?

I'm pretty sure that the lever has something to do with the draft control on the 3PL.(the one horizontal , & it should lift up to the vertical position) Can't remember which way is which :-/
And I think the black screw controls the rate of drop on the 3PL :-/

I'll have a better look for the Manual, & check...

I'm guessing that the 2 lever spool block gets its oil supply from the remotes, & you need to put the lever between your legs in the detent position or tie/block the handle one way to supply oil to the spool valve.

BISTBC.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
10 years 4 months ago #132967 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: Ford 4000 Hydraulics
We have a 5000, the lever under the right of the seat needs to be pushed forward for our loader to be operational ;)

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds