Skip to main content

Ransommes MG6

More
10 years 1 month ago #139547 by SWR
Ransommes MG6 was created by SWR
Hello fellow members. Well i have managed to get an old Ransomes MG6 which needs a bit of head work etc but the guy i bought it off was a pretty genuine bloke & told me all the history about it. Turns over no problems but i can hear a noise (think it's a sticky valve) so i will lift the head & get my local cylinder head guru to give it a birthday. I will need to look for an operators manual so i don't grab the wrong levers etc & i do believe that the starting is important otherwise the little crawlers can take off if not warmed up correctly - a learning curve but one i'm looking forward to. Implements will be on my next shopping list as unfortunately none with the purchase but happy with my new addition. :) :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #139548 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
Cool.
Fond memories of those little beasts ... used to shuffle one around when I was a little tacker ... lol, had to climb in rather than step into it 8-)

Implements will be on my next shopping list

WRONG ... Pictures are next dude ... you know the rules!! ;D

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Eddy.

More
10 years 1 month ago #139549 by stevejr
Replied by stevejr on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
SWR
The noise you may be hearing is the impulse mechanism in the magneto it should make a clicking sound when it is wound over. These little girls will have a fair bit of compression when turned over.take the plug out hold your finger over hole to see if you have any compression. Pm me if you need any info. I rebuilt a mg5 a while back.
The valves are accessible thru an inspection cover on the carb side of the block. You will be able to see them moving. If you don't have to pull the head off don't. Head
gaskets are few and far away like England!
All the best Steve

Mack R600 1975&&Dodge D5N 400&&Fe 35 1958&&Tea 20 1951 &&Tea 20 1952

More
10 years 1 month ago #139550 by SWR
Replied by SWR on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
Thanks for the info stevejr i will check through the inspection cover to inspect valves etc. Glad you mentioned it as i didn't even know there was an inspection cover - learn something new every day & it's all good stuff.
Cheers Steve

More
10 years 1 month ago #139551 by grash
Replied by grash on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
SWR,
Auto Surplus in Melbourne have some engine parts and gaskets. There is a chap in S.A. who has a whole range of parts for all models but I have lost his contact details. Somebody else might know.
Be warned,when you try to start it get it on the compression stroke then give it a quick pull up. DON`T try to wind it round like other engines.It is a 4 stroke but fires on both the up strokes.You can try it if you like but ring the doctor first and tell him your coming in with a broken arm. :-[
Graham

More
10 years 1 month ago #139552 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
Grash, I think what you mean is that the magneto will produce a spark on every rotation of the flywheel, meaning that there is a wasted one at the end of the exhaust stroke. This very common practice for small engines, your lawnmower works on the very same principle.

More
10 years 1 month ago #139553 by SWR
Replied by SWR on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
Grash/Dieseldog, thanks for the info & i will definitely only try it on the up-stroke. One problem i have is that i noticed i have an opening on the side of the carby looks like it had a cap or something as it's threaded but what for ? i don't know yet !! I have been busy cleaning all matter of gunk off the old girl & the fuel tank is also grotty so thats out & is getting a cleanup. The fuel line was also clogged with gunk but it's cleaned out now & soon as i get the fuel tank sorted (tomorrow i hope) i will give it a go at starting but the threaded hole in the side of the carby could be an issue. Forgot to say carby was inspected & was clean as a whistle & choke slides still had a light oil film on them.
Cheers SWR

More
10 years 1 month ago #139554 by stevejr
Replied by stevejr on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
Steve. That threaded hole will be for the float tickler I'm thinking. Should not be a problem to start it. may have to tickle the float with a small screw driver to get the chamber full and then put something over the hole to stop fuel splashing out. As the mag is close you don't want fuel in that!! Check out utube there is a couple on there on starting procedures. On the left side (looking from front) you will see a small plug , take it and the spark plug out and wind over to check you have oil pressure, oil should come out.
when you get her going (and you will) take the filler cap off, you should see the oil returning. if you look in side the filler tube on the right is a small hole this is the oil return. would pay to clean the oil filter also, Brass nut at the front. I'd change the oil before trying to start it anyway. 2.25 litres SAE 50
get er goin' !!
Steve

Mack R600 1975&&Dodge D5N 400&&Fe 35 1958&&Tea 20 1951 &&Tea 20 1952

More
10 years 1 month ago #139555 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
Steve,

Once you get her going you will probably need to replace the track rubbers.

There was a fellow in Macksville doing the rubbers for a very good price a few years ago. They do not take long to replace. Just cut the old bolts with an angle grinder and replace the rubbers with Bunnings bolts (high tensile not really required but probably better if you have the money) with Nyloc nuts.

I will look for his contact numbers but the Rusty Iron crowd in Macksville should be able to put you on to him.

Lang

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #139556 by cribotow
Replied by cribotow on topic Re: Ransommes MG6
Hi mate, i have three MG's, Neil Jarret in the UK has lots of stuff for the Ransomes i visited him when i was over there last year, his track rubbers are very good, hope this is usefull.
njarrett@btinternet.com

&&Grasp

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds