Skip to main content

Tangye engine

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #152543 by wouldyou
Tangye engine was created by wouldyou
About 1906, 9 Horse Power four stroke hot bulb compression ignition.

[IMG
[IMG

The side shaft drive gear, pulley has to come off to get to it.
[IMG

Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by wouldyou.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #152544 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Tangye engine
The main and big end brass bearings were gone, turned up steel spacers to suit brass we had which will be sized and split.
[IMG

Making a big end bearing block from two pieces of 2 inch square, cutting it with a cut off disc has hardened the ends and it takes the corner off my high speed steel tool bit, suggestions welcome, maybe a tungsten tip?
[IMG

Bearing block which mates to compression block and
the suction inlet valve still stuck, have tried hammer then this in press, will try heat.
[IMG

Cheers, David.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #152545 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Tangye engine
Never heard of theses engines before so had to google it and pinch this photo from www.oldengine.org . Is this what you have there David. this one it said is 5 hp 1910.

Or is it this one, photo from www.stationaryengine.org

Maybe this one

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
9 years 3 months ago #152546 by wouldyou
Hello Colin,
There are a lot of big Tangye motors and pumps along the Murray at museums.
According to the Powerhouse Museum NSW railways used them keeping water up the steam engines.
The middle one of your pics looks the closest, it has the hot bulb lying in front.
One of my Tracmach friends has a running engine that I can look at to see how it goes together.
I have looked at some on u tube, they ran on the hit and miss principle.
David.

More
9 years 3 months ago #152547 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Tangye engine
David, at the risk of stating the obvious (I lost count of the Crownies a while ago); is that a gland nut of sorts in the inlet port? I expect you have already tried a pipe spanner on that......(might be a candidate for the 12 volt washing soda cleaner)

Are those the sleeves(?) you have made in the mains in your picture?

Big end bearing block. Is the big end just a big bit of square (with a hole bored through it) bolted to the end of the conrod?

Much more enjoyable than what I was just trying to fix - a Hyundai generator with no output 240 and 19 volts at the 12v. More wires than a car!

Cheers, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 3 months ago #152548 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Re: Tangye engine
David, a product that might??? help you with turning the hardened steel is a cutter called crobalt. I don't know anything about it, only just saw it at www.eccentricengineering.com.au recently. I am going to get one of their diamond tool holders, and maybe a crobalt cutter to try in it too.
They have a video or two on youtube as well.
If you have more material, maybe cutting another/new piece with a power hacksaw with coolant to avoid getting it so hot, might be a cheaper option and continue on with the tooling you already have? Just a thought.
I like the look of their lathe tools though.
Great project you have!

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #152549 by wouldyou
Hello Jarrod,
The top of valve housing is solid, had another look to make sure.
I had the brass that will be used for the main bearings, it will be turned to fit then split and adjusted with shims.
The spacer was pipe made to fit in the gap.
That big end block will be one of a pair bolted together to the con rod, the centre bored out to take the split big end brass bearing.
Hope you get some where with the generator.
David.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #152550 by wouldyou
Hello 180wannabe,
Have had a look at eccentric engineering website, it would be an idea to have the tool holder and cobalt cutter for those difficult jobs,
I will take up your suggestion re starting with another piece hacksaw cut, did wonder if cutting with gas would create the same problem.
The material was from a Ford offset disc.
Thanks for your help.
David.
[IMG

More
9 years 3 months ago #152551 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Tangye engine
Must have been wishful thinking on my part. Photos can be deceiving. It looks like the valve guide screws in from underneath (looks like a hex in the photo), must just be part of the casting, then.

As with the T truck, I'm looking forward to this one. Best of luck with it.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 3 months ago #152552 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Tangye engine
Wouldyou mate, to get the valve out of the housing, spin yourself up a thick walled tube, similar to a gudgeon pin, to place over the valve stem. Then have a go at pressing it out using little bits of round bar dropped down in the tube so your only pressing it out a little bit at time, maybe half an inch or so. This should stop the valve stem from bending.

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds