Skip to main content

Tangye engine

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202854 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Tangye engine
Hello Jarrod,
Looking at the date of that last post is a surprise! I have had a go at getting it easier to turn by belting it to a tractor, that was too fast and it begins to rock. Only progress a cooling tank and the three one inch hold down bolts made.
Have been lazy and time taken up keeping the old cars in running order.
Can forward photos if you need them.
David.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by wouldyou.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202857 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Tangye engine
Our club at Macksville has a very similar size Tangye and the huge triple stage water pump that has herring bone gears. Originally it was used to pump water to the water tower for steam trains to fill up. It has had a lot of work done to it so far and they were hopeful for it to have been finished for this years rally but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202867 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Tangye engine
These governor toggles are missing, will have a go at making them. Photos of an engine at Chapman Valley Museum Nanson.
Attachments:

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202870 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Tangye engine
Thanks for the quick reply, David. Mine is a 4hp about 1904. That same bit is off mine as well, but is around. The current owner (a mate) has lent it to a friend and assures me it's safe.
I have just got the inlet assembly apart, slightly different to yours.
Have you had your entire hot bulb / tube assembly apart? Mine has bits which I don't understand the purpose of. I note that the fuel comes out of an orifice in the intake valve seat. That's about the extent of my understanding. (I understand the general hot bulb principle).

I'll see if I can get a picture up. I only have the intake / hot bulb assembly at this time. I will pick the engine up in a couple of weeks at a show.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by asw120.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202875 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Tangye engine
Hello Jarrod,
A word of advice
do not try to remove that cap on the left with a rattle gun, our one flew to pieces.
Kerry Morris on Smokstak Downunder Forum has Tangye engine numbers, there is a bit about our engine on the date 04-27-2015, also about that time different model ID by flywheel diameter and width.
David.
PS
Should have looked at Smokstak Forum first you beat me to it.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by wouldyou.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202884 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Tangye engine
Thanks David, I hadn't been able to find your thread and now I can, hopefully. What is your user name there?
I have no intention of forcing anything, since it's all basically unobtainium. I will be asking the mate who is selling it to me about using an oxy around the thread; he has vast experience with that sort of thing.

Thanks, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds