Skip to main content

Identify this petrol engine (missing cyl/head)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 1 month ago #155782 by Swishy
Wot ever U do

Dont send it to the left

Pots have been known to evaporate n disappear

;D

[img

Clikity ...................................... ClikClikClik

n all along we all thort we were gunna B edjucated in the finer art of restoration

;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D

Cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #155783 by Oldengines
the petrol engine looks diesel to me?,
cheers, Chester.

More
9 years 1 month ago #155784 by Trackhappy
I sort of concur Chester, there seem to be too many rings for petrol, but that drive looks like it is made for a magneto... or maybe some kind of cam hit and miss assembly???

Sunshine Coast&&Queensland

More
9 years 1 month ago #155785 by indianman
G'day check on the flywheel I can see some casting no's but can't make them out I also agree it looks diesel to me

Jon

More
9 years 1 month ago #155786 by bparo
Definitely missing the cylinder and head at least. Took a copy of the picture to my vintage engine club's display at Warrandyte festival but the base didn't match any of the engines there or that people knew of in their collections.

Can I suggest sending it to TOMM magazine or trying their forum as well?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 1 month ago #155787 by Trackhappy
Thanks for your efforts. Tomm sounds like a good idea. When I get it QLD side, I'll clean it up and get better photo's. That smallish flywheel with 4 (5?) holes seems to be a feature which should be identifiable. She must be odd-ball, normally you Guys would have identified her by now. Getting parts will probably be impossible I guess, so it may all be for naught.

More
9 years 2 days ago #155788 by Trackhappy
Here are some more pics to get your memories into gear. I am awaiting a TOMM logon to put it up there. That flywheel nut stands out as something identifiable, and the flywheel is quite small (in fact the whole thing is small, you might notice the plastic rake sitting there), didn't measure it but only like 12-14 inches at a guess. Assume that means fairly high speed for the era. The casting number looks like C25. Not many small engines had removable access plates either. Starting to wonder if it might have been a marine engine???

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

More
9 years 2 days ago #155789 by ozfarm
methinking its USA cos of the 110v

so your thinking of a marine unit could be mite be not 2 far off the mark

More
9 years 2 days ago - 9 years 2 days ago #155790 by Trackhappy
Hey Ozfarm,

You are correct in the 110V being USA, however that is AC and is modern standard. Back then 110V DC was standard in UK and other places for lighting plants. The dynamo is definitely UK-Based. I may be wrong, but given the dynamo is (I think) early 1900's, I suspect the engine was an add-on and is much later.

Edit - Ray just said he had a visit from a previous owner who remembered starting the engine every night to charge batteries. Wish she could have been certain about the dates and details... :)

:)

Last edit: 9 years 2 days ago by Trackhappy.

More
9 years 2 days ago #155791 by RayF
Whitworth or UN threads? That might narrow it down a bit.

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds