Skip to main content

Lincoln Welders

More
9 years 4 days ago #158055 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
It is good to see others are having my trouble, welding a couple mm off where I should, hand shakes when the rod is new one, shakes when shorter also, but it doesn't wobble as much at the end. Had to take doors and bonnet off the R180 up to the welding shop to weld up the holes from the old west coast mirrors and mascot, couldn't see a thing with the mig, joys of getting old :'( :'( :'(

We bought a tractor pack about 1967, top bit of gear for gate ways[ we bought 800 metres of railway iron]
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 days ago #158056 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
Well a couple of things here
Remember as apprentice those Lincoln where every wear even fitted one the front of a Forsdon tractor lots of different power units rotating them.
As for seeing the job a good mask is an investment but they can get up in the $100's of dollars with all the adjustments avaliable

More
9 years 4 days ago #158057 by D8H
Replied by D8H on topic Re: Lincoln Welders

I have a PTO driven Lincoln welder earlier model than the BT250 still in use. It has no model No. on it. It only runs up to 200 amps.

Does it look similar to a 250BT.

More
9 years 3 days ago #158058 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
There was a Red model 250BT before mine.One of my neighbours bought one of them in 1955. I'm not real sure but I dont think it had the 32 volt plug on it. I have a 32 volt drill that plugs into mine. Before the Red 250 BT there was an earlier model Grey Lincoln which had the control box on top of the Generator. There was also A 400 Amp version of that model. My welder originally came with a complete Fordson Major Mounting Kit, made by Malcolm Moore, I think. It had 6 A section belts driven from a Special Belt pulley which replaced the standard one. The 1951 e27n Fordson was really good for welding as the Governors were very sensitive after I put new pins in them. The Fordson Diesels with the Vacuum Governors were hopeless as they used to die when you struck the arc, then were slow to stabilize. The Minimec pumps probably would have been good. - Kav

More
9 years 3 days ago #158059 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
This was our old Lincoln welder, belt driven from the front half of a KS5 Inter. The back end went under the Reo Speed Wagon farm truck.
It had a solenoid arrangement on the electrode lead and when you struck the arc, the solenoid revved up the engine, took a bit to get just right.
Only had 32v auxiliary power though, 240v would have been so handy back then for remote building work.
Yes my eyes are stuffed too, weld beside most joints. I'm using No 4 magnifying glasses available from the el-cheapo shop when welding.
I know welding helmet filters get darker with the more UV they absorb, eventually becoming impossible to see through. Don't know if this is the case with these new electronic style auto darkening helmets. (which I love)
[IMG

More
9 years 1 day ago #158060 by mercskeepmeinajob
For those that are havin trouble following the place you want to glue together. BOC sell a magnifying lens that fit inside their standard cheapo hemet. Have acquired several but havn't used one yet to see how they go but it wood be better than no glasses under the helmet, which i'm using now.

My biggest problem is lining up the rod to exactly the place where i want to start the weld. Flip down the lid and then you may as well have made me stand there broom in hand, against me chin looking up at broom head above me head and rotated me round 50 times and told me to strike the arc in exactly the place where I had lined it up earlier.

Bought some UV crayon sticks years ago, which are run down the point of where you want to weld. The idea is that you are able to see exactly what you want to join and also for doing stitching, you can mark it out before hand and then it becomes obvious while in the dark before a fire at the end of the rod or torch as bright as the sun lights up, where you lay the bead from and too.

These i havn't used as yet, when I purchased them left the glasses at home and couldn't read the fine print, which said you have to also buy the special lenses to go with them. >:(

9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #158061 by
Replied by on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
...i guess it all comes with the vintage mercs .. :'( :'(

...my get up and go, got up and went :'( :'( ::)

...i'm that forgetful, i make new friends every day :'( :'( ::)

..my sex drive drove off :'( :'( ::)

...what we used to do all night, takes all night to do :'( :'( ::)

...ya gotta laugh .. otherwise you may cry a lot :-/ :-/ ;D

More
8 years 11 months ago #158062 by tractor
Replied by tractor on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
The 200BT looks almost identical to the 250BT. The 200BT ended in about 1957 and the 250BT started about then.
The 200BT doesn't have the power outlet on the side and it may have one more lead outlet on the front. Its amazing that it still runs considering it has not been in a shed for a lot of its life. I have a 250AS in real good condition. Currently the V4 has a magneto issue.

More
8 years 11 months ago #158063 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
I have a Lincoln DC-225/3-AS Tractapac. Can't say I know the age of it but I would guess 1950/60's by the looks of the power point it has. Was given it recently and was working when they stopped using it a few years ago. I'm yet to give it a run myself to see if it is still operable. My fingers are crossed.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #158064 by D8H
Replied by D8H on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
What was known as The Tractapac came out in the
mid 1960s, had 225 amp DC welding current and 240volt
ac power. There were 2 power points on the front.
Early models were blue, later models were red and remained that colour until the unfortunate discontinuation of this model. These were the last of
this type of welder manufactured by Lincoln.
Previous models were the 250BT, 200BT, and the
"Shield Arc".
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by D8H.

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds