Skip to main content

Lincoln Welders

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #158045 by D8H
Lincoln Welders was created by D8H
Who has the oldest engine/pto drive Lincoln Welder, still in use.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #158046 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
I have a Lincoln 250BT welder that I bought in early 1963. It was my first Welder. Originally it was on the front of a Fordson Tractor, then about 15 years ago I put it onto an Industrial VW motor. I still use it for jobs away from the Power. -- Kav

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #158047 by D8H
Replied by D8H on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
The 250BT were a great welder, I had the next model,
it was driven by an FE Holden engine for many years
until I set it up on a trailer for PTO drive.

More
9 years 1 week ago #158048 by Ronny G
Replied by Ronny G on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
I have a Lincoln Welder bought as a unit coupled to a Wisconsen twin petrol motor which is still in use mainly for mobile jobs on the farm.I came here in 1962 and it was our main welder then,and would have been bought by my uncle probably back in the 1950s

More
9 years 1 week ago #158049 by 56 AS 130
Replied by 56 AS 130 on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
My dad has one as a tractor pack don't know what model or age it is but its old.

More
9 years 1 week ago #158050 by Barnyard
Replied by Barnyard on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
Different brand, but I have an EMF tractor pack type, will have to have a look for a date. I've seen plenty of Lincoln units but I don't know how common the EMF ones are?

More
9 years 5 days ago #158051 by tractor
Replied by tractor on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
I have a PTO driven Lincoln welder earlier model than the BT250 still in use. It has no model No. on it. It only runs up to 200 amps.

More
9 years 5 days ago #158052 by mercskeepmeinajob
Always wanted to buy a tractorpac, when I was looking round for one 30 yrs ago I couldn't find one at my price. But I found an old MUREX brand 400 amp that used to be behind a Ford v8 sidevalve. Has been adapted to run at 1000rpm on the back of my David Browns. Tell ya watt that thing will burn some holes in some pretty thick steel with the 5mm rods too. It works as a good dyno for the tracta as well. Just can't can't keep goin welding for that long now and most disapointing doing a fantastic looking weld only to find ya missed the join. Need a labrador now to help put me straight

More
9 years 4 days ago #158053 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
I have an old Lincoln coupled to a grey holden motor, I remember my old dad cooked the grid in it when I was a real young lad. He was so annoyed about that, he had to go to Adelaide to buy a new one, & uprated her to 250 amps. The old Grey has a belt driven hyd governor set up on the throttle to keep her spinning at 3300 rpm when using the stick.
The old DC welder was the only thing for welding dozer tracks etc. Old fella used to use it as battery charger for the old Maple Leaf when she was a bitch to start. Start the holden up, she ran a 6 volt starter on a 12v batt, just above idle, connet the weld leads to the 6 volt batt in the old truck, that used to stir her up ::)
All was fine until a batt exploded in his face one day, he was somewhat reluctant to do that again.
It sits at the back of the shed, not having run for some time now, but still complete.
Gilly

More
9 years 4 days ago #158054 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: Lincoln Welders
"Just can't can't keep goin welding for that long now and most disapointing doing a fantastic looking weld only to find ya missed the join. Need a labrador now to help put me straight"

I know what you mean 'merc' I was complaining about that same problem to a welder mate one day and he asked "Do you wear those bi-focal glasses when welding" to which I answered "yes"

He says they give a distorted view of what you are welding and probably the reason you think you are on track but have missed the target when done. He told me to go and buy a pair of magnifying type glasses (chemists and other places sell them) and use them. That did help a lot but I still cannot weld as well as I used to many moons ago, and certainly not as well with a mig than I could with a stick welder. Seeing the slag lift off a well laid arc weld is a joy of the past now.

As for DC welders, they are brilliant for odd metals. I used one to build some cattle yards using railway line posts with pipe rails and it was way better than an AC one.

Geoff

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds